Setup issues

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Jinx13

Setup issues

Post by Jinx13 »

Hello, how can I log in the daemon as a different user?

A little background..

I have a ubuntu server that hosts my torrents and have been using qBittorrent for a long time now but I have had a support issue for 2 weeks now unanswered so I figured I would change.

Doing some reasearch I seen Deluge as a good one and I setup the server from HERE with webui and that had been working great.

I then wanted to use the plugins but some are not compatible with the webui so I looked upon installing the thin client on my ubuntu laptop.

I found THIS guide but found it very patchy and struggled with it so then I found THIS guide and between the lot I seemed to have webui working and also the thin client with remote access.

It appeared to be running of my main ubuntu user but when I rebooted the server the daemon seemed to log in to the deluge user and I cannot login to webui or the thin client.

I might be way off the mark with what I think is going on if I am please tell me.
Jinx13

Re: Setup issues

Post by Jinx13 »

####UPDATE####

It seems that every time I reboot the server the settings do not stay. I managed to log in by killing all processes and then runnung

Code: Select all

deluged
then when I get a new line I ran

deluged-web
When I then logged on the password was back to default so I was prompted to change that and then all my settings previously like proxy etc we're all blank but I did have one test torrent in there from before I rebooted last.

Can anyone shed some light?

Kind regards
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Can you be clearer about the issues you are trying to resolve.

If the settings have been reset, it is likely a permission issue for the config location. Enable logging to check for errors.
Jinx13

Post by Jinx13 »

Cas wrote:Can you be clearer about the issues you are trying to resolve.

If the settings have been reset, it is likely a permission issue for the config location. Enable logging to check for errors.
Thank you for your reply, I have been doing some more tests and this is what the issue is in more detail.

I have found that the settings are fine

What seems to be happening simply is every reboot the daemon logs in to the "deluge" system user

What I want is for the daemon to log in to my Ubuntu user.

To accomplish this after a reboot I have to run these commands

ps aux | grep -i deluge

sudo kill (process number)

deluged

deluge-console
I then finally run

systemctl restart deluge-web
And I have all my torrents back and connected properly

I assume that this is a simple fix and I am missing the obvious I am pretty sure this is user error and not software error.

Thanks again for the reply, hope this is now clearer

Kind regards
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

So you are using systemd services but don't want to run as root or deluge but your own logged in user? Edit the /etc/systemd/system/deluged.service and /etc/systemd/system/deluge-web.service to replace the user/group with your own.
Jinx13

Post by Jinx13 »

As easy as that, thank you very much :)