Use of "Incoming Address" field

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
kevindd992002
Leecher
Leecher

Use of "Incoming Address" field

Post by kevindd992002 »

As the title says, what is the use of the incoming address field. I'm assuming it is the external IP address where Deluge will listen on for incoming requests. If so, am I able to specify a different external IP address (the one on the other side of my site-to-site VPN) for incoming and leave the outgoing interface (and port) as their defaults? Basically, outgoing traffic will have a different route/network altogether compared to incoming. Is this possible?
kevindd992002
Leecher
Leecher

Re: Use of "Incoming Address" field

Post by kevindd992002 »

Also, where do I find the test port button? I'm new to Deluge and some articles show that test port button but I don't see it in the latest version of Deluge. I also don't see any status bar or icon where it stays my incoming connection is open. Am I missing something?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

kevindd992002 wrote:As the title says, what is the use of the incoming address field. I'm assuming it is the external IP address where Deluge will listen on for incoming requests. If so, am I able to specify a different external IP address (the one on the other side of my site-to-site VPN) for incoming and leave the outgoing interface (and port) as their defaults? Basically, outgoing traffic will have a different route/network altogether compared to incoming. Is this possible?
Yes
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

kevindd992002 wrote:Also, where do I find the test port button? I'm new to Deluge and some articles show that test port button but I don't see it in the latest version of Deluge. I also don't see any status bar or icon where it stays my incoming connection is open. Am I missing something?
It is in the GTK UI
kevindd992002
Leecher
Leecher

Post by kevindd992002 »

Cas wrote:
kevindd992002 wrote:As the title says, what is the use of the incoming address field. I'm assuming it is the external IP address where Deluge will listen on for incoming requests. If so, am I able to specify a different external IP address (the one on the other side of my site-to-site VPN) for incoming and leave the outgoing interface (and port) as their defaults? Basically, outgoing traffic will have a different route/network altogether compared to incoming. Is this possible?
Yes
Well, I tried doing this and as soon as I put the external IP of the WAN on the other side of my site-to-site VPN tunnel, I get a "cannot assign requested address" in the tracker status of a test ubuntu torrent that I'm trying to download. It's as if Deluge wants the external IP addresses for both outgoing and incoming to be the same. Any ideas what's causing this?
Cas wrote:
kevindd992002 wrote:Also, where do I find the test port button? I'm new to Deluge and some articles show that test port button but I don't see it in the latest version of Deluge. I also don't see any status bar or icon where it stays my incoming connection is open. Am I missing something?
It is in the GTK UI
And to get the Thin Client, I simply need to install Deluge in my Windows machine and then disable Classic mode, correct? I thought I should be able to see that Classic mode option in the web UI? I also don't see that option.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

external IP of the WAN on the other side of my site-to-site VPN tunnel,
Deluge can only bind to the interface addresses of the computer it is running on
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

kevindd992002 wrote: I thought I should be able to see that Classic mode option in the web UI? I also don't see that option.
Thin client mode is for the GTK UI, the Web UI is already a thin client connecting to Deluge.
kevindd992002
Leecher
Leecher

Post by kevindd992002 »

Cas wrote:
external IP of the WAN on the other side of my site-to-site VPN tunnel,
Deluge can only bind to the interface addresses of the computer it is running on
Ok, that makes sense. So what I did was to assign another IP (virtual IP) on my docker host's NIC so that I can use that for the incoming part in Deluge. Let's call them IP1 for outgoing (routes through the local site's WAN) and IP2 for incoming (routes through the remote site's WAN and port forwarded properly). Here's what I did to test and my observations:

1. I assigned a static incoming port and assigned IP2 as the incoming address. External address (in the bottom pane of Deluge) is now showing the remote's site external IP address. Port forward from remote site WAN to IP2 is confirmed working by testing in canyouseeme.org but test active port still gives an exclamation point. I did a packet capture on all interfaces along the route all is routed properly but the test active port won't still give me an OK outcome.

2. I assigned IP1 to the outgoing interface but when I tried downloading a torrent and inspecting the traffic, it looks like it uses IP2 as the source IP which is not what I want.

3. Leaving the incoming address empty while outgoing interface is still set to IP1 results into a source address of IP1(the expected result) when downloading a torrent. So it looks like Deluge doesn't want IP addresses with different external IP's for the incoming address and outgoing interface fields.

Any more ideas? I'm kinda at a lost here as I did everything correctly. I have a handful of servers in the local site that can be accessed properly using the remote site's WAN IP so setting port forward and policy-based routing in pfsense is not new to me.

EDIT1:

I tried using this IP check: https://torguard.net/checkmytorrentipad ... 1bccbb3e83 to see what IP address peers see when I download torrents. Surprisingly, it lists my local site's WAN IP when it is supposed to be my remote site's WAN IP (as shown in the external IP address field in the bottom of the GTK UI). So I think this is the problem. My question now is how does Deluge determine which external IP it will announce to its peers to download data from? Does it do this by putting an HTTP request against a Deluge server perhaps?

EDIT2:

That is indeed the cause of the issue. I've verified this by routing all traffic from my Deluge box source IP to go through the VPN and true enough the external IP address seen by that checkIP torrent listed my remote site's WAN IP. So I really need to know how Deluge determine's the external IP address to use so that I can route that specific traffic over through my VPN tunnel. There are other services in this box so I cannot route all traffic through the tunnel, only specific ones. Besides, my goal here is for Deluge to use my local site's WAN for outbound connections and my remote site's WAN for incoming connections.

This also doesn't answer question number 2 above.
kevindd992002
Leecher
Leecher

Post by kevindd992002 »

@Cas, do you have anything in mind?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »