Importing torrents from other client (bitTorrent)

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
ernesto
New User
New User

Importing torrents from other client (bitTorrent)

Post by ernesto »

Hello,
I am new to Deluge, which seems to work fine (and without the annoying advertisement module that I have on BitTorrent 7.10.3). However, I have a few old (completed) torrents that I would like to keep alive, so I would like to know how I can transfer (import) existing Torrent files from BitTorrent to Deluge, so that I can completly cancel BitTorrent.
Thank you very much if you can help.
Shryp

Re: Importing torrents from other client (bitTorrent)

Post by Shryp »

If you only have a few it is easy to do manually. Make sure the default setting is to add in the paused state, then get copies of the .torrent files and add those to deluge. Make sure the save directory is the same (or you can do a move storage after adding them) and then force a recheck on the data. If all goes well and they now list as 100% complete just start them.

If you want to be extra careful make a copy of the data first just in case something goes wrong at least for the first one you try.
ernesto
New User
New User

Post by ernesto »

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

The only problem is that, once the downloaded file (say, a movie) is complete, I usually don't keep the ".torrent" files in the Downloads directory where I use to download them.
Actually I find a couple of them in the BitTorrent program directory, but not all. I am not sure why. Are these files kept somewhere else, as long as the torrent is active ?
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

I am not sure if that is possible unless you have the option set to save a copy of .torrent files. You will probably have to go back to the website you got them from and find them again.
ernesto
New User
New User

Post by ernesto »

I understand.
For the .torrent still on my hard-disk, I followed your instructions, and it seems to work, however, during the forced recheck, the progress bar displays "Downloading", which is a bit puzzling...Since 0,5 Go was "downloaded in a minute or so, I guess it's actually a check rather that a download. Can you please confirm ?
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

It shows checking for me when I do that. Maybe it is downloading from your other client?
ernesto
New User
New User

Post by ernesto »

May be, but my other client (BitTorrent) is closed.

I just tried again. It first briefly said "Checking", then once the progress bar was completely full (maybe two seconds), il became white (empty) again, and displayed "Downloading". I unplugged my computer from the Internet, download stopped.

I am confused about one thing : my .torrent files are in "Torrent" directory, and my completed Torrents are in "Torrents-Completed" sub-directory. Deluge is set exactly the same way. Is that correct ?