Deluge with VPN --> Multiple routing tables (FreeBSD)

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
cbrace

Deluge with VPN --> Multiple routing tables (FreeBSD)

Post by cbrace »

Hi all,

On the Wiki there is a page on configuring Deluge to work with a VPN, with a section on FreeBSD (Setting up Deluge with VPN). It seems straightforward, but unfortunately I can't get it to work,

First, I realize it is much easier to set up a VPN and route all traffic through it. However, I'm running Deluge on a system which is not a dedicated seedbox. It also hosts Nextcloud, mail, etc, so I would like to use the VPN only for Deluge traffic.

I start openvpn (tun4) and manually set a default route with setfib. I've opened incoming traffic to tun4 in PF. This works:

Code: Select all

$ setfib -1 traceroute 188.184.9.234
traceroute to 188.184.9.234 (188.184.9.234), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  10.43.10.1 (10.43.10.1)  23.559 ms  23.885 ms  23.618 ms
But this does not:

Code: Select all

$ setfib -1 traceroute www.google.com
traceroute: unknown host www.google.com
There's no DNS lookup. I'm missing something, but what? I'm using PIA VPN service, which works fine configured as the default network.

I'm hoping that someone here is using Deluge under FreeBSD and was able to get this working.
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Re: Deluge with VPN --> Multiple routing tables (FreeBSD)

Post by gderf »

You could avoid the difficulty by using a SOCKS5 proxy with deluge instead of a VPN. PIA provides a proxy with all accounts.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/h ... use-socks5
cbrace

Re: Deluge with VPN --> Multiple routing tables (FreeBSD)

Post by cbrace »

Yes, I've used that, and it works well, but the problem is that the BT client is then not connectable. As a result, seeding rates are truly miserable.

PIA also offers portforwarding for VPN on a select number of servers, which I've also used, works very well. The challenge for me at the moment is getting that working with multiple routing tables under FreeBSD.