Deluge Encryption Setting confusion?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Anthrounit
New User
New User

Deluge Encryption Setting confusion?

Post by Anthrounit »

I started to use Deluge because I like how clean and small it is but when I configured the encryption I did force incoming and outbound encryption but the part with "Level" for handshake or full stream or either. This made me confused by "Either" I figure the client will do one or the other not both so I selected full stream.. I did select encrypt full stream next to that option as well. days later I got a email from spectrum saying the name of one for the files I was downloading and to stop. Its been years since I last saw anything like this due to encryption not being configured right. I was a utorrent user for many years and even tried transmission but Deluge just felt different and worth a try so I did. I just wanna know does that "Level" under the encryption option really mean either or is it badly worded for both? I do not use a VPN but instead am big on encryption so would there be a plug in or future development down the line for higher encryption with deluge?
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Deluge Encryption Setting confusion?

Post by shamael »

Hi

From my understanding the encryption does not protect you against ISP spot. The encryption was mainly used some years ago against ISP throttling, I'm not sure ay of them do it anymore. But you're not protected about the content you share through you're torrent client. Anyone on the same tracker can see what you're taking/sharing. And even more people if you leave the DHT enabled in the options

This is the reason of VPN/Proxy: people cannot see your real IP.
Anthrounit
New User
New User

Post by Anthrounit »

I know they can see my IP address but i want to ensure the data is encrypted so even if they know im torrenting they can not see the contents. thats why im trying to figure out that option in encryption marked level because i thought it was odd that you have handshake or full stream (and full stream already has the check box next to this) then you have the option for either but I did not see one for both which i would feel more comfortable using. Is there a plug in maybe for this or a possible fix in deluge version 2?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Shamael is correct, you cannot rely on client-encryption for avoiding getting caught downloading.

Your IP is advertised together with torrent-id to tracker/dht and shared with all others downloading or just interested(scrapers). Copyright agencies screenshot this as evidence and sends to your ISP which in turn alerts you.

Btw, here's a reply by Cas, the lead deluge dev, about what the different encryption options means.

viewtopic.php?t=20305#p163505
Anthrounit
New User
New User

Post by Anthrounit »

So that leads me to another question. Say a VPN is in use with a torrent client which we can say is deluge. Then say the encryption is off. Will you still get busted even if your using a vpn? the IP address is different but the vpn tunnel does go back to the source computer so again can you get busted on a vpn with no bit torrent encryption?
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

A VPN connection itself is encrypted end to end regardless of Deluge's encryption setting.
Anthrounit
New User
New User

Post by Anthrounit »

but has there ever been a single report of anyone with a vpn and no bittorrent encryption that has been caught or detected.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

No you cannot. The VPN tunnel shows to the world the VPN IP in use and there is no way to go through it to find yours. There is no need to encrypt Deluge as fist it's a very weak encryption and second anyone able to see the traffic is not able to find you.
(Think about forcing DNS through the VPN)
Anthrounit
New User
New User

Post by Anthrounit »

so what your saying is you can use deluge fully UNencrypted on the vpn. Does anyone here want to admit they for go the weak client encryption of deluge and just leave it off?
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

Yes. Check my first post about the meaning of the encryption in Deluge. VPN and Deluge both use the word encryption but the meaning is not related in any way regarding the covered area.