ntoskrnl.exe issue and simultaneous downloads

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Newguy025

ntoskrnl.exe issue and simultaneous downloads

Post by Newguy025 »

Hello,

I have 2 questions:

1st: When doing simultaneous downloads (5 for instance), does the speed drop drastically as opposed to having just 1 active instance? Each download goes in a separate drive. I have 5 different HDD's (2 SSD's) and this happens even with 2 instances. The window also is less responsive.
Rest of the setup: I5 8400, 2x8gb DDR4 2133mhz, ASUS TUF B360-Plus Gaming, Win10x64. Latest drivers, client version, etc. The OS is on a SSD.

Where is the bottleneck?

2nd: In Win10 Task manager, there is a process that takes about as much as Deluge when it comes to HDD usage, and some CPU. The process is listed as System. Going to properties it tells me it's: nt kernel & system and ntoskrnl.exe.
This process seems to mimic all software when it comes to HDD use.

There are also article and posts about ntoskrnl.exe taking too much CPU and HDD, and I've tried the all the solutions, but System is still there apparently using the HDD.

Doing some digging with different HDD activity software I believe this is just how it Deluge/HDD use shows up. Is this correct?

Thank you.
Newguy025

Re: ntoskrnl.exe issue and simultaneous downloads

Post by Newguy025 »

I am specifically asking in relation to Windows 10, since it worked fine with older generation hardware on Windows 7:
Generally speaking, how does your system hold up to multiple simultaneous downloads on Win10?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

For libtorrent 1.0 the disk I/O will affect bandwidth when writing to disk so the more downloads the more disk activity. This should be fixed in libtorrent 1.1 included with Deluge 2.

Ignore ntoskrnl that is the operating system, so of course it will mirror high activity of child processes. Any article mentioning ntoskrnl should be read as 'some other process' is causing unwanted activity.
Newguy025

Post by Newguy025 »

Is Deluge 2 (relatively) safe to use? (found it here: http://download.deluge-torrent.org/2.0/)

If I install it will it remove my existing, still downloading torrents? I don't want to lose them, so how do I extract the torrent file, the one with the .torrent extension?
In the \AppData\Roaming\Deluge\State folder there are only about 25% of them (293 items), where are the rest?
Is there a limit?

I've gotten them via magnet link, although I don't think this should matter (?).

I've also enabled the copy of .torrents file to, but nothing shows up.
Newguy025

Post by Newguy025 »

The copy of .torrents file works now. So far it holds ~600 files, not sure if there is any limitation.

I found the rest of the torrents, sort of. The \AppData\Roaming\Deluge\State folder seems to hold only a part of them as .torrent files, the rest are in torrents.state.bak and the other non .torrent type files. They can be opened with Notepad++, but it's difficult to extract them.
I have ~400 in .torrent file type, the rest are in the aforementioned files.
deadlock
New User
New User

Post by deadlock »

I ran into similar issues when I switched to Deluge 2 years ago. I configured all the anti-malware stuff to not touch Deluge' processes. In my case it was the Microsofts internet security features that were inspecting the 5000 connections I allow. After I disabled that, my at the time core i3 went down to about 20% utilization. This problem will start to come forward pretty quickly as more torrents are added, especially if one is well seeded, and can slow a new i7 to a grinding halt.