.torrent/Magnet Through TOR

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
figuringOut
New User
New User

.torrent/Magnet Through TOR

Post by figuringOut »

Hello,
I recently found out that there isn't much reason to encrypt inbound, outbound, and full stream since anyone who wants to know what you are downloading simply need look when you first add the torrent file! There are also plenty of reasons to avoid using Tor to download torrents, and I agree with them. What I would like to do is have the initial torrent "call" (for lack of knowing what it's called) when you click to add torrents go through Tor so that the initial request is anonymized, then the Deluge client can continue to do all the stream encryption itself.
This seems like a relatively basic ask given how many entities (ISPs included) that are monitoring everything you do. I have found posts on how to download the full thing through Tor, or how to go pay for a VPN to do so, but all we really need is a way for the initial look to start the stream to be anonymous. Anyone know how to do that?
Thanks!

EDIT: It seems .torrent have gone away, but the magnet link is still calling out (i believe) in a way that can easily be monitored, and then encrypts the stream. Same ask, but I am probably using wrong terminology.
The analogy I find best is walking into a night club. What happens in the night club (the stream) is encrypted, but everyone watching me walk into the night club and knowing the exact name, date, etc. (the magnet/.torrent) is fully wide open.
TerryLewis
New User
New User

Re: .torrent/Magnet Through TOR

Post by TerryLewis »

writemyessay
Hello,
I recently found out that there isn't much reason to encrypt inbound, outbound, and full stream since anyone who wants to know what you are downloading simply need look when you first add the torrent file! There are also plenty of reasons to avoid using Tor to download torrents, and I agree with them. What I would like to do is have the initial torrent "call" (for lack of knowing what it's called) when you click to add torrents go through Tor so that the initial request is anonymized, then the Deluge client can continue to do all the stream encryption itself.
This seems like a relatively basic ask given how many entities (ISPs included) that are monitoring everything you do. I have found posts on how to download the full thing through Tor, or how to go pay for a VPN to do so, but all we really need is a way for the initial look to start the stream to be anonymous. Anyone know how to do that?
Thanks!

EDIT: It seems .torrent have gone away, but the magnet link is still calling out (i believe) in a way that can easily be monitored, and then encrypts the stream. Same ask, but I am probably using wrong terminology.
The analogy I find best is walking into a night club. What happens in the night club (the stream) is encrypted, but everyone watching me walk into the night club and knowing the exact name, date, etc. (the magnet/.torrent) is fully wide open.
Hello,

Why is it better to avoid using Tor to download torrents (Deluge in particular)? I've seen a Reddit talk about it a couple of weeks ago, but currently, the topic is deleted (there was much to read there, with pretty thorough explanations).
mhertz

Re: .torrent/Magnet Through TOR

Post by mhertz »

Firstly, using tor for torrenting is considered abuse of the protocol. Anyway, using tor, or socks5 proxies is considered problematic in torrent clients because the client also need to make sure your real IP isn't leaked through either going through regular connection or by hardcoding real IP in headers of specific protocol extensions and likewise whereas you don't have these issues with a VPN except needing a Killswitch feature to prevent IP leaks if VPN goes down.

The issue with torrents vs magnets is irrelevant and same issue in needing same protection measures.

Bottom line, you need IP masking for avoiding copyright strikes, and encryption is only good for avoiding throttling and I'd also use only https torrent sites as there's no reason to flaunt what you're doing directly in front of your ISP - they can see you're on a torrent site which isn't illegal but they cannot see specific title of release or searches when using https. Encryption makes ISP unaware of what you're downloading but they are not using DPI on every user to find that out, and they only act and send letters to you after a copyright agencie had flagged you by IP used in swarm, hence the IP masking which is the cruscial part.

Deluge should be safe with socks5 as long as enabling force_proxy and anonymous_mode with ltconfig plugin or using deluge 2.0 beta and enabling the two options Cas added which enables the two beforementioned options behind the scenes. Newest RC libtorrent-rasterbar deprecates force_proxy and will always fail closed as standard behaviour.