Speeding up performance with >500 torrents

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Cassock
New User
New User

Speeding up performance with >500 torrents

Post by Cassock »

Hi all. I've been using Deluge for years and despite trying all the other popular clients, I can't get away from the label and move functionality in Deluge. It's simply the best.

I have upwards of 500 torrents seeding at any time, and could see 1000 in my future soon. Deluge seems to crap out semi-regularly with more than a couple hundred, though. Everything still works as advertised, but navigating from one label or tracker to the next, getting more info, or making a change to a particular torrent takes forever.

I've seen a bunch of posts claiming the same behavior and am wondering what steps I can take to improve this or how I can determine the bottleneck. FWIW, I'm running Deluge in a Docker container on my Synology NAS and (typically) connecting from a client on my Windows desktop. Do I just need to dedicate more resources to this machine, or are there settings I can manipulate in deluged or libtorrent or my client to improve response times? Thanks.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Speeding up performance with >500 torrents

Post by Cas »

This should answer some of your questions: https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Dev ... f_torrents
Cassock
New User
New User

Post by Cassock »

Thanks, Cas. Looking forward to v2 whenever that happens.

I don't see maxed out CPU on the host when the client is accessing it, but that could just be Synology not reporting accurately. Is CPU the limiting factor for how many torrents I can handle? I have an R710 collecting dust that I could spin up...
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

Well if you have the R710....Debian/Ubuntu (ESXi free first?) and Deluge+ltconfig plugin. Select the high performance profile and you're good to go :).
Review the memory settings etc from this profile, you may have to customize it a bit

That said and even if this will give you of course a better performance server I guess you can handle >500 torrents with the Synology.
I do >600 with a RPI...But with compromise about the performance of course.