Deluge running on Debian not able to download on NTFS drive

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
vale_maio2
New User
New User

Deluge running on Debian not able to download on NTFS drive

Post by vale_maio2 »

Hello, I've been using Deluge and its web service for a while now but always on Windows or OMV, this is the first time I run it on Debian (I know OMV is based on Debian, but whatever).

I'm running Deluge and its services on my home "server", under Debian 9.5 with its default desktop environment (GNOME 3 I think? The really ugly one). The service is up and running fine, I can connect from my Windows 10 main computers and all of that. Here's the problem: if I point the download folder to anywhere in the server hard drive (formatted in ext4) no problem, it downloads and saves where I tell the program to. Now, connected to the server there is a USB drive formatted in NTFS (for obvious compatibility reasons, since my main PCs are running Windows) and that's where I want Deluge to download. If I tell Deluge to save there, it just doesn't download and gives me an error on the active torrent.

As download path I've tried /media/vale/Volume/download (the drive path seen from Debian) and Y:\download (drive path seen from Windows 10, network folder mapped as a drive); obviously none of them works. I bet this has something to do with Deluge not having read/write permissions on NTFS drives but I'm not sure. I've obviously used Google but to no avail.

Any suggestions? Thank you.
vale_maio2
New User
New User

Re: Deluge running on Debian not able to download on NTFS drive

Post by vale_maio2 »

Solved. I basically gave deluge user root permission. I know it's a dirty and cheap way but it works, and no one else besides me have access to the server, so security is not a big issue. For anyone wondering, I edited the passwd file with

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/passwd
and changed permissions of the users deluge and debian-deluged so they looked like this

Code: Select all

debian-deluged:x:0:0::/var/lib/deluged:/bin/false
deluge:x:0:0:Deluge Service,,,:/var/lib/deluge:/bin/false
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Deluge running on Debian not able to download on NTFS drive

Post by Cas »

The usual solution is to modify the NTFS mount permissions: https://askubuntu.com/a/113746/8570