Cannot Seed Completed Torrent

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
gw1500se

Cannot Seed Completed Torrent

Post by gw1500se »

I am converting from another torrent client to Deluge. I like what I see so far but I have a problem that I can't figure out. I have completed torrents that I want to seed. Searching the internet, there seems to be plenty of others with this problem but none of those solutions have worked for me. The torrent always shows downloading at 0%. For some reason it does not recognize that the torrent is complete and start seeding. I used deluge-gtk to create a new torrent. Due to space limitations on my server I have to keep the files on a NAS. The details tab has the correct path to the NAS folder and shows all the files but they also are all in download status with 0%. How do I get Deluge to recognize that the torrent is complete and start seeding? Numerous force rechecks do not help. TIA.
Last edited by gw1500se on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shryp

Re: Cannot Seed Completed Torrent

Post by Shryp »

You do not want to use the create torrent function. That creates a completely new torrent with a different hash. You want to get a copy of the original .torrent file you used on your old client, add that to deluge then do the force recheck. I would also go into the preferences and set it to add new torrents in a paused state first. I have done it multiple times with no issues either to reseed old torrents or to transfer top a different client with no issues.
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

Thanks for the reply. I started out using the old torrent file but since that didn't work I tried making a new on. I am now back to the old file but still no luck. After adding the torrent it shows up in the paused state as expected. However, when I try to force recheck, nothing seems to happen. In the details tab the path is correct (it does contain spaces and special characters, if that matters) and the status shows OK. Either the recheck is not working or it happens too fast to see any changes. I doubt it can happen that fast even for a 700MB folder so it seems I can't get it to recheck.
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

You should see some movement on the progress bar during a recheck. If it stays at 0% it isn't recognizing the data. Another test would be watch the HDD LED on your computer. A recheck is heavy on disk usage and should be a pretty much a steady on LED. Be sure you have read/write permissions on the save location and double check the save location. Maybe even try right click and open folder location to double check. Also try downloading something new just to double check that everything is working properly.

Special characters should not matter on a Linux system, though make sure your data drive is ext4 and not NTFS.

Another test would be copy the data from your NAS to your pc/server and try checking locally. Sometimes the network shares don't work quite right and that could also be adding some security settings.

Actually, speaking of NAS and special characters, if you are using SAMBA instead of NFS that might be giving you issues. SMB respects the Windows/NTFS character sets and could very well be trying to access invalid names or paths.

You might be able to run deluge directly on your NAS and look into the thin client setup to run remote GUI/GTK on your other computers on your network. That will give you the default GUI interface on any computer on your network, but run the backend stuff on your NAS. I have deluge running on my desktop PC with all my hard drives and then use the GTK interface on both my desktop and laptop.
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

I'm seeing nothing. I may try copying to the server HDD, if I can find room but that cannot be the final solution. The NAS is a closed OS so I can't install anything on it. It is mounted using CIFS not SMB.
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

CIFS is basically SMB.
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

In that case I'll have to see if I can mount it NFS. I think I had trouble getting that to work originally which is why I used CIFS. I'll try moving it to my HDD to see if that is it first. I wonder if just renaming it to remove spaces and special characters would work? That would require generating a new torrent file, right?
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

OK, so I tried using nfs mount and now I remember the problem I had. My NAS (WD MyBook Live) requires authentication to mount. CIFS works fine but NFS does not. Unlike CIFS, it seems there is no way to pass credentials with an NFS mount command. I'm stuck, unless someone knows how to authenticate with NFS mounts.
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

I moved the torrent to the server HDD and now it is seeding so I guess that means the CIFS mount is the problem. I need to figure out how to NFS mount with authentication.
gw1500se

Post by gw1500se »

I guess we can close this one. An NFS mount of the WD MyBook is not possible, apparently. I solved the problem by changing the name of the folder and created a new torrent. All is working now off the NAS.