Install Deluge on Raspbian Stretch on Pi 3B+

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
creative-2008
New User
New User

Install Deluge on Raspbian Stretch on Pi 3B+

Post by creative-2008 »

I've been running Deluge for about a year on an old Raspberry Pi. I forget where I found the instructions from, but it pretty much works okay.

I've now bought the latest model, and am running a completely up to date OS. Is Deluge suitable/stable for this OS? And if so, what would be the best step-by-step guide to follow?

Thanks in advance.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Install Deluge on Raspbian Stretch on Pi 3B+

Post by shamael »

Hi,

The documentation is still in progress for the last Debian Stretch but it works, I'm on a similar system with last update. The most annoying part is the Debian repo updating the libtorrent version above 1.0.11 when you update Debian, but this can be avoided.

So the easiest way for me: install the Deluge from PPA (Zesty), retrieve the libtorrent from Jessie, and freeze the package up to an update. Here below some reading and how to

Why I prefer to stick with libtorrent 1.0.11 viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54869&p=227887&hili ... ch#p227887
The detailed step to install this way (see my last post) viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54783&p=227568&hilit=zesty#p227568
I just edited this last post with the way to freeze package so any Debian update will not override Libtorrent package.

enjoy ;)
creative-2008
New User
New User

Post by creative-2008 »

That was really helpful. Many thanks!

One more question, that you might know the answer to...

The web client is great, but a plugin I want to use isn't supported. I have VNC access to the Pi. Is there a thin client that will run on Debian / Raspbian Stretch that I could use remotely via VNC?
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

The fat client (GTK UI) is able to connect to a remote instance (and works really great).
https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Use ... ient#GTKUI

An Xserver setup can also be considered, I think there is a topic with Xming on this forum
creative-2008
New User
New User

Post by creative-2008 »

Much appreciated - I'll look into both of those.