Proxy Settings Explanation?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
nfolken
New User
New User

Proxy Settings Explanation?

Post by nfolken »

I have been playing around with the Network and Proxy settings, and I think I understand it, but I still have a few questions.

First: When you use a Proxy, does the Port you setup in the Network section no longer apply? Everything just goes through the Port the Proxy uses, right? The UPnP/NAT-PMP options are just for automatically opening your port on your router, so unneeded if using a proxy, right?

Second: Do I correctly understand what data gets exchanged under the 4 proxy sections?
  • Peer - Exchange of torrent contents with a Peer
    Web Seed - Exchange of torrent contents with a Server
    Tracker - Exchange IPs with a tracker server (to find Peers and Web Seeds)
    DHT - Exchange IPs with a Distributed Hash Table (how magnet links find Peers/Web Seeds)
Third: Is all of Deluge's communications contained in those 4 proxy sections? Does Peer Exchange fall under the Tracker proxy? Does LSD fall under the DHT proxy?

Fourth: Why is it broken up into 4 sections? For example, what if I only turn on Proxy settings for Tracker and DHT? I would still be able to get the IPs of Peers/Seeds through the proxy, and then start exchanging data with those IPs outside the proxy. But my IP on the Tracker/DHT would be for my Proxy, so when seeding, others getting my (Proxy) IP wouldn't be able to transfer data with me?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Proxy Settings Explanation?

Post by Cas »

With libtorrent 0.16 onwards the separate sections are irrelevant so simply put details into one and it will be used for all traffic and it will use the port for your proxy.
nfolken
New User
New User

Post by nfolken »

I am using Deluge on debian jesse on a raspberry pi, libtorrent v0.16.18

After further testing I have determined that the DHT field is the only one that matters. Even if I have a torrent with a tracker and I have every other field configured for my Proxy, It won't work until the DHT proxy is configured (or is the only field configured).

I was really hoping I could separate the types of data as the proxy section implied, and I hope they update the interface.
QWIKAG

Post by QWIKAG »

EDIT:
My ultimate issue was DHT and/or bandwidth settings. Because I use iptorrents. DHT not actually allowed.
Still not sure exactly, also my bandwidth settings were tuned way out of control... see my own answer below.

MY ORIGINAL POST...
Trying to extend this post!!!
It would be great if this post had more interest because Setting up Proxy and understanding the Network Settings and the like is quite important and causes much consternation, I am not a noob but I still wonder if my setup is correct or not and whether I even need to worry about certain pieces of my setup.

OP: maybe you could provide more insight???
The original questions were good questions, but essentially did not get answered.

My Problem is: I constantly get connection issues: "{tracker}: Error: Connection timed out"
Here is my setup in deluge:
  • Proxy Peer (ONLY the rest set automatically); Socksv5 W/Auth
    Username: xxx
    Password xxx
    Host: xxx.nordvpn.com (refer nordvpn for this server)
    Port: 1080
    Network Incoming/outgoing ports; Use Random (when I test the port I get an error, this is expected because I do not have any port routing for these random ports)
    Interface: n/a
    TOS: 0x00
    Network Extras: Upnp/NAT-PMP, Peer Ex, LSD: all set False
    Network Extras: DHT: set True
    Inbound: Enabled, Outbound: Enabled, Level: Either, Encrypt entire stream set True.
    Daemon Port: set to my preferred port number
My Router Config:
I am Port forwarding the TCP and UDP for port 1080 (proxy above) and my Daemon port to my Ubuntu Server running the Deluge Daemon

So as I understand it the proxy and daemon is the only thing dealt with at my end wrt to networking, the actual proxy then is dealing with ports which I have set randomly.
Maybe my random ports is causing the issue and I need to use specific ports for torrents issue by the proxy provider. But I do not know of any scenario.
I am yet to see any instructions with detail that helps people.

More help needed on this post as it ranks highly on google search!!!!
Last edited by QWIKAG on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You should not forward your socks5 port i.e. 1080 in your router, you have no incoming connections on socks5 for torrenting, but can still upload through outgoing connections.

Instead you need ltconfig plugin and enable force_proxy and anonymous_mode, or use deluge 2.0 where you can enable these two in main interface without 3rd party plugin.

There's a bunch of reports on the net of people getting copyright letters on deluge while using a proxy, but none one report of this happening with these two mandatory options added.
QWIKAG

Post by QWIKAG »

hi @mhertz,
Firstly thank you.
ok I understand your comment about not port forwarding the socks5 port.
I have installed itconfig as per here see my comments on how:
viewtopic.php?t=4288

However, I still do not exactly understand what my Network Port Forwarding should look like when I use a Proxy?
You 1st point suggests I remove the port foward for the proxy 1080 (Gone)
Some how external connections need to find their way in so I will need to port forward a large range to see if this opens it up. 50000 - 65000
This seems extreme!
I will never turn on Upnp.
So opening the large port range seems the only option???
Can I minimise the range, or whats the deal?
THOUGHTS?

So what should the incoming and outgoing ports be?
What should my other settings be and WHY?
Result: No Change
QWIKAG

Post by QWIKAG »

My Setup as per above briefly worked for a few minutes while I was not looking, and an awaiting download DL'd, hence I know it worked.
but when I come back it is not working again.
Driving me up the wall !!!
different Torrents that are seeding randomly show as "iptorrents.com: Error: Connection timed out", as does new DL's
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry I don't know the answer to your connection issues, but about your usage of a socks5 proxy or VPN, then you shouldn't forward any ports for that. Just leave the deluge settings regarding this as per default, unless having specific reason for choosing otherwise.
QWIKAG

Post by QWIKAG »

FINALLY!
My issue was a bunch of things
I was able to get some connectivity by removing DHT (i think, maybe not), and by setting up my bandwidth better.
DHT/bandwidth I will continue to test various settings but...
Basically I followed this guide within iPtorrents.
https://iptorrents.com/forums.php?t=2840470
Then I followed this guide which contradicted iptorrents on a few points around proxy & encryption
https://www.vpnuniversity.com/bittorren ... roxy-guide
the later also gave me this page which proved my Proxy was not working. This was due to the proxy server I was using was overloaded/offline. Thanks nordvpn.
http://checkmytorrentip.upcoil.com

I had 2 more issues, 1) my Active Port was set to 0, and 2) "No Incoming Connections!" in the status bar, (not sure how, it just disappeared while trying to fix).
I got the active port to return by shutting down Deluge and editing the ~/.config/deluge/core.conf file and adding a line - "active_port": 550001, -
weirdly it worked but the port was random as expected which was fine, but the "Test Active Port" button now works, I shut down again and the active port setting was now gone, but the active port in deluge remained working the test button works and the "no incoming connections!" error is gone.

That said every time i restart Deluge i get "No Incoming Connections!" in the status bar, and fix this but testing the port. But I think it goes by itself
Damn what a mess!
Oh! the Active port reset to 0 again, but everything still works, and the "No Incoming Connections" error goes away after restart.

All back together now:)

So successful settings are:
  • Proxy Peer (ONLY the rest set automatically); Socksv5 W/Auth
    Username: xxx
    Password xxx
    Host: xxx.nordvpn.com (haha! should have check this earlier)
    Port: 1080 (not port Forwarded, Thanks @mhertz)
    Network Incoming/outgoing ports; Use Random to set the port within my chosen range, once useful random port is chosen copy this into the fixed range. and uncheck the random incoming box. Or as I find out later just be patient with a fixed port.
    I suppose the outbound port can stay random or fixed???

Interface: empty (although I have 2 interfaces wifi/eth so maybe I need to set it, but have not read anything to say so. more testing)
    TOS: 0x00
    Network Extras: Upnp, Peer Ex, LSD: all set False
    Network Extras: NAT-PMP: set True
    Network Extras: DHT: I am on the fence, only because iptorrents says "no"
    Encryption Inbound: Forced/Enabled, Outbound: Forced, Level: Full Stream, Encrypt entire stream set True.
    Daemon Port: set to my preferred port number, also port forwarded if you need remote access.

PORT FORWARDING:
    The incoming port, the Daemon port, and port 4433
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

It's your choice, but I'd certainly enable DHT and also PEX, as is helpful in public torrents, and note many guides online are written by people having no business given advice on the subject as not understanding the subject indepth enough. For instance, don't use forced encryption unless having bandwidth throttling/shaping issues and where just enabled isn't enough.

No ports for incoming connections should be forwarded when using socks5 proxy, as that doesn't support that.

Lastly, as said many times, don't use a proxy without using ltconfig and force_proxy and anonymous_mode.