New Install cannot associate magnet links to Deluge

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
AraiBob
New User
New User

New Install cannot associate magnet links to Deluge

Post by AraiBob »

I installed Ubuntu 14.04.1 including Deluge. This was NOT an upgrade, but a fresh install.

I am having some odd issues.

Most important is when I click on the magnet link in Firefox, what comes up is expecting Transmission, not Deluge.

I have tried clicking the button in Preferences / Other which is to make the association of magnet links to Deluge, and it does not work.

I did some searches of the support forum and found this has been an issue, but all are older versions. What went wrong with the install? and how to fix?
Spadge
Seeder
Seeder

Re: New Install cannot associate magnet links to Deluge

Post by Spadge »

I think it depends on your desktop environment.

I use KDE and had to make my own magnet handler:

Code: Select all

cat ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/magnet.protocol
[Protocol]
exec=deluge-gtk "%U"
protocol=magnet
input=none
output=none
helper=true
listing=false
reading=false
writing=false
makedir=false
deleting=false
This might help you: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=103267.0
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

There are many answers on AskUbuntu so you need to search better. Likely this is the solution:

xdg-mime default deluge.desktop x-scheme-handler/magnet
If not start with this question and go from there.

Edit: The associate magnet code might be a bit old now so create a ticket and we'll look to update to use mime scheme.
AraiBob
New User
New User

Post by AraiBob »

All,

I found an answer, though it puzzled me when I read it.

I was attempting to get Ubuntu Linux to 'connect' Magnet links to Deluge. It does have a link to Transmission, which is installed as a default. There is a 'way' to connect to Deluge and disconnect from Transmission, by pointing the connection to the program Deluge. Unfortunately, I was not sure exactly where the program resides.

The fix I did was to tell Firefox to make the connection. This was done easily and worked the first time.

Best regards
davidm
New User
New User

Post by davidm »

AraiBob wrote:Unfortunately, I was not sure exactly where the program resides.
Hi AraiBob. Just to help you in the future usually you can do:

which deluge
or

whereis deluge
at a terminal to figure out the location. Where <deluge> can be any program name. See 'man which' for more info. :)
Debra743
New User
New User

Post by Debra743 »

Then I 'manually' started qBittorrent and closed it again. The next time I clicked a magnet link I was prompted by Chrome to allow it to call an external application LiteBlue. I allowed this and chrome then fired up qBitorrent.

So it seems that if you don't need to have more than one torrent client on your PC, by removing the others and leaving the one you want, you can force Chrome to use the desired client. A bit of a Chuck Norris solution, but it worked for me.
Last edited by Debra743 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
alex989
New User
New User

Post by alex989 »

I recently had the same issue after installing u_torrent. I need 2 torrent programs because of private trackers that do not allow DHT.
U_torrent associated itself with magnet links which I didn't want it to do and the button in the deluge settings doesn't actually do anything.
I scoured the internet for about an hour trying to find a solution because the link in this post is dead. MYBKExperience
Last edited by alex989 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spadge
Seeder
Seeder

Post by Spadge »

alex989 wrote:I recently had the same issue after installing u_torrent. I need 2 torrent programs because of private trackers that do not allow DHT.
U_torrent associated itself with magnet links which I didn't want it to do and the button in the deluge settings doesn't actually do anything.
I scoured the internet for about an hour trying to find a solution because the link in this post is dead.
What Operating System (Desktop Environment if a Linux or UNIX) and Browser are you using?
johnshelbyy
New User
New User

Post by johnshelbyy »

Debra743 wrote:Then I 'manually' started qBittorrent and closed it again. The next time I clicked a magnet link I was prompted by Chrome to allow it to call an external application . I allowed this and chrome then fired up qBitorrent.
TcsWebmail LiteBlue Upsers

So it seems that if you don't need to have more than one torrent client on your PC, by removing the others and leaving the one you want, you can force Chrome to use the desired client. A bit of a Chuck Norris solution, but it worked for me.

cd /usr/bin/

sudo sed 's/elif \[ x\"\$GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID\" \!\= x\"\" \]\; then DE\=gnome\;/elif [ x"$GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID" != x"" ]; then DE=gnome;\n    elif [ x"$MATE_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID" != x"" ]; then DE=gnome;/g' -i xdg-*
Worked for me (Mint Mate 16 Petra).