iLLNESS
New User
New User

Upstart not starting deluge

Post by iLLNESS »

So here's the lowdown:
Headless Ubuntu 12.04
Deluge 1.3.7

/var/log/upstart/deluged.log reports that it does not have access to /home/user/.config/deluge

My deluge is running as "user" both for uid and gid and has absolutely no issue starting once the server has booted, but refuses to start at boot. I've tried chmod 777, chown for both root and user, deleting the config dir and launching manually as sudo and nothing is working.

I saw in the logs that it's tried and failed to load from /home/user/.config and /home/user/.config/deluge depending on either if it's launched using sudo manually or as regular user (I believe).

Sorry I can't give more details but I'm using my iPhone as I'm no longer at home as the registration page blocked me out after too many attempts.
NuttBoxer

Re: Upstart not starting deluge

Post by NuttBoxer »

I had a similar issue, but was not able to even start the daemon. Leave the default chmod, don't 777, it's not needed. Make sure to chown -R user:deluge /home/user/.config. I used deluge as that is the group created for deluge, and assigned in my init upstart scripts. I assigned my user to the deluge group, as I prefer this over the deluge user. After you chown, you have to restart deluged, and in your case I suggest reboot to verify the script starts. You should see it in your list of started processes during boot.
iLLNESS
New User
New User

Post by iLLNESS »

that doesn't seem to be the issue. for the sake of it, i changed the ownership to user:deluge as you did, checked that user was in the deluge group, kept uid at user and gid as deluge for both web and daemon and still no go.

somehow there is something else going on here but i can't seem to locate what.

i'm using the default upstart as shown here http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/User ... art%20Job) with only the user/group changed.

i've removed the .config dir and just about ANY trace of deluge to start fresh.

reinstalled from 1.3.7 source using the deb layout (/usr/bin)
created upstart from mentioned link using user/deluge.
ran deluge upstart. rebooted. still no go. .config dir ownership is user:deluge.
/var/log/deluge/daemon.log reports:

Code: Select all

[ERROR   ] 15:51:56 common:167 Unable to use default config directory, exiting... ([Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/user/.config')
EDIT: im really starting to think deluge 1.3.7 is giving me issues related to the config location.. somehow despite the user being specific in the upstart, its almost like the daemon isnt trying to run as the specified user:

user@server:~$ ls -la /home/user/.config
total 76
drwx------  7 user user 4096 Jul 25 16:50 .
drwx------ 12 user user 4096 Jul 25 16:50 ..
-rw-------  1 user user   56 Jul 25 16:49 auth
drwx------  6 user user 4096 Jul 25 16:46 deluge
-rw-rw----  1 user user   11 Jul 25 16:49 deluged.pid
drwxr-x---  2 user user 4096 Jul 25 16:49 icons
drwxrwx---  2 user user 4096 Jul 25 16:49 plugins
drwxrwx---  2 user user 4096 Jul 25 16:49 ssl
drwxrwx---  2 user user 4096 Jul 25 16:49 state
-rw-r-----  1 user user  656 Jul 25 16:49 web.conf
-rw-r-----  1 user user  656 Jul 25 16:50 web.conf.new

user@server:~$ sudo cat /var/log/deluge/daemon.log
[sudo] password for user: 
[ERROR   ] 16:59:14 configmanager:76 Unable to make config directory: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/user/.config'
[ERROR   ] 16:59:14 main:189 There was an error setting the config directory! Exiting...
according to the above it's trying to create the directory (despite the directory already existing). the upstart uid/gid is the owner of the folder.
iLLNESS
New User
New User

Post by iLLNESS »

well i got it working. in the end i just let it use /var/lib/deluge as its config directory.
the issue seems to be that the config directory is different between a manual start and the autostart at boot.

if i manually started using /usr/bin/deluged -- -d it would create the directory and files in .config/deluge/*files here*
when the autostart at boot used the same command it would create an additional .config/deluge/deluge/ but have some files in the old directory too. im not sure why though..

either way, if anyone is having issues try setting config to a directory besides your home dir.

EDIT FOLLOW UP:
after fighting with xbmc headless, it seems the real reason was my encrypted home dir. I could have sworn i disabled it when i moved over to an SSD but must have forgot. just assumed it wasn't my problem when it was all along!
TerryLewis
New User
New User

Post by TerryLewis »

iLLNESS wrote:
that doesn't seem to be the issue. for the sake of it, i changed the ownership to user:deluge as you did, checked that user was in the deluge group, kept uid at user and gid as deluge for both web and daemon and still no go.

somehow there is something else going on here but i can't seem to locate what.

i'm using the default upstart as shown here http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/initscript/hireessaywriter/ubun/...tart%20Job) with only the user/group changed.

i've removed the .config dir and just about ANY trace of deluge to start fresh.

reinstalled from 1.3.7 source using the deb layout (/usr/bin)
created upstart from mentioned link using user/deluge.
ran deluge upstart. rebooted. still no go. .config dir ownership is user:deluge.
/var/log/deluge/daemon.log reports
Hello,

I had a similar issue. Now I cannot get the Deluge-web start, it returns the $ sudo service deluge-web start start: Unknown job: deluge-web. I tried to clean up the deluged.conf file and add back in the -d tag. And it worked. But still don't know how to start the Deluge-web. Everything was ok on my Ubuntu 14.04, but when I installed 16.04, it's work as expected.
Sorry for reviving the old thread.