Deluged not correctly starting after reboot

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
SavageButcher
New User
New User

Re: Deluged not correctly starting after reboot

Post by SavageButcher »

Cas wrote:To connect from another machine you need to follow the thinclient guide.

You need to run deluge-console as the deluge user and point to config location:

Code: Select all

sudo -u deluge deluge-console -c /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge
Also as I said before running deluged from command line and upstart script are using different configs so are not the same instances. This is quite important to understand.
Ok, so.. is there a way to automatically run deluged from command line at start up?
'cause when i run it from command line, everything seems to run smoothly: i can use deluge-console and the Windows client without any problem.
Given this, i guess i've followed the thinclient guide correctly.

Anyway, that command you gave me makes deluge-console work correctly.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

If you setup as per thinclient guide for the config in /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge then it will work the same.
SavageButcher
New User
New User

Post by SavageButcher »

Cas wrote:If you setup as per thinclient guide for the config in /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge then it will work the same.
Uhm, there's no mention of that path in ThinClient guide... it talks about ~/.config/deluge/auth but it's about remote authentication right? then it shouldn't interfere with deluge-console, which is not working.
Otherwise i'm missing something!
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

You are missing something... the tilde '~' is shorthand for the current users home dir so the deluge user you created has a home path of /var/lib/deluge therefore the config path RELATIVE to the deluge user is ~/.config/deluge/auth which means the ABSOLUTE path becomes /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge/auth
SavageButcher
New User
New User

Post by SavageButcher »

Cas wrote:You are missing something... the tilde '~' is shorthand for the current users home dir so the deluge user you created has a home path of /var/lib/deluge therefore the config path RELATIVE to the deluge user is ~/.config/deluge/auth which means the ABSOLUTE path becomes /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge/auth
great, i kinda got what you meant. That auth file in /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge/ was different from the one i edited following the thinclient guide.
I just manually edit it and now everything works like a charm!
I just had to configure deluge settings, but i guess that's because "deluged from command line and upstart script are using different configs so are not the same instances" :D
Thanks for the patience, Cas!
(btw, i still haven't figured out what i did wrong. I mean, did i follow the wrong guide, or dind't follow it enterely, or stuff like that?)
QWIKAG

Post by QWIKAG »

This is the problem with this forum there is never enough detail in the support responses.

You wanted to know what you should have done better in the first place and then it would have made sense right, well so does every person following this thereafter, meaning this fixed you problem but serves very little purpose to others because the are no details.

like:
where is the thin client guide?
how is upstart triggering deluged
how can I stop it?
how can I start it?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You cannot really generalize like that imho, as obviously not _every_ post lack detail, yes some do, but e.g others go out of there way to be helpful and e.g people report back with there found solution just to help others in need etc. This is a comunity, and people are different, but personally I'm atleast grateful there's places like this where we can get help from others and share experiences etc. and this place has lots of helpful knowledgeable good people indeed :)

The thinclient guide logically would appear on the project homepage, and it's first link if googling 'deluge thinclient'. Same to your next three question where first hit of googling 'deluge upstart' gives details on homepage upstart article. Google really is your friend and learning this makes your life much easier imho.

Personally I'd much better e.g Cas spent his time coding this nice app than to spoonfeed people with links easily googlable by oneself, and that he even too helps on forum additiinally, for stuff not Googlable in 1 sec, is a great thing indeed.

Anyway just my 2 cents on this, but do of-course understand it can be frustrating at times when having issues and further digging is needed, but again that is really the norm in this free/open-source software world afterall.