General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Leecher
Leecher

Re: Azureus DHT doesn't work

Post by avatarl »

amc1 wrote:
Azureus is already getting abandoned due to the Vuze thing anyway
No it isn't. Not at all. Next.
Pick a torrent, ANY torrent, anytime, and take a look at how many are using Vuze compared to other clients, when Azureus was dominating, even when uTorrent was in its 1.6 version.
amc1 wrote:
bundling a non-GPL license -Vuze Platform- into a GPL software
All the software consisting of the client is GPL.
Yes, but it's bundled in the installer by default, so it beats the purpose. It's like installing an OpenSource program forcefully bundled with a commercial toolbar which you can't choose not to install, you can just hide it afterwards. LULZ for GPL...
amc1 wrote:
and FORCING the user to accept it in order to install... Right... GPL, sure...)
You can run it "outside" of the installer - from the JAR file, or use an older installer and auto-update. The software is GPL, that's all there is to it.
Now, WHO will do that when there's an installer? If I'm going to be bothered with running the JAR file every time, I'd rather not use it. And I bet the average user won't bother with that either. And there's no old installer now, the link got officially removed from Azureus' site. There goes your old installer argument. And guess what? It even got removed from http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/ .
amc1 wrote:
And if it was so great, the Azureus developers would have just immediately share the DHT implementation with the other providers.
Or... perhaps... they were busy coding and doing other things? Not all developers have the time or inclination to document things - doesn't make it any better or worse.
Open Source mentality right there...

Edit: Oh and now that I remembered... Do you know who else follows a similar approach? Free programs bundled with forced-on-install adware or commercial toolbars. Try to explain that to the GPL masses. The fact that you can hide the adware in some way is sort of irrelevant.
amc1
New User
New User

Re: Azureus DHT doesn't work

Post by amc1 »

Pick a torrent, ANY torrent, anytime, and take a look at how many are using Vuze compared to other clients, when Azureus was dominating, even when uTorrent was in its 1.6 version.
Oh, I see what you mean. I thought you mean it was being developed any more because of Vuze (which isn't the case).

Not sure I agree with you about it being anything related to Vuze though - when I posts from people who move from Azureus to uTorrent, normally things like memory / CPU usage and the interface are reasons why they chose to move over, rather than anything to do with Vuze itself.
Yes, but it's bundled in the installer by default, so it beats the purpose. It's like installing an OpenSource program forcefully bundled with a commercial toolbar which you can't choose not to install, you can just hide it afterwards. LULZ for GPL...
But you can get the source of Azureus and do what you want with it (including redistributing it any way you want, as long as it's GPL). So how does that clash with the GPL?
And there's no old installer now, the link got officially removed from Azureus' site. There goes your old installer argument. And guess what? It even got removed from http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/
I didn't actually know that had been done until you had mentioned it - I know that it must have been done recently, since I grabbed an earlier version off there not to long ago. Still trying to find out what happened about that. :(
Open Source mentality right there...
It's nothing to do with open source or not. People who work for free on something have limited time to spend on it - they may or may not have time to spend on writing documentation and keeping it up to date. That's even something that normally affects paid developers...
Oh and now that I remembered... Do you know who else follows a similar approach? Free programs bundled with forced-on-install adware or commercial toolbars. Try to explain that to the GPL masses. The fact that you can hide the adware in some way is sort of irrelevant.
What's this to do with the GPL again? What's to explain to the "GPL masses" - the software is GPL, the source is available, and you're allowed to modify it and redistribute it under the terms of the GPL. I don't understand why you keep going on about "GPL" and "Open Source", since Azureus still is both of those things.

So perhaps your problem is nothing to do with that - but just that you can't get Azureus without Vuze? There are reasons why they are distributed together:
http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Az ... ut_Vuze.3F

And as for "hiding the adware" - apart from the fact that isn't adware (there's no revenue gained from just loading the Vuze UI), the user can choose to start up in the Azureus 2 interface - it's not forced on the user to use it. I don't.
http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Az ... o_use_Vuze