Azureus DHT doesn't work

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Lord_neo

Azureus DHT doesn't work

Post by Lord_neo »

If I have understood right, DHT should be supported (i have 0.5.5 version on Feisty) :roll:

Yesterday I tried to run a torrent created from azureus and i wasn't able to connect other peers (4-5). Next I tried with Azu and worked fine. ;)

Is it a my problem?
Leecher
Leecher

Re: Azureus DHT doesn't work

Post by avatarl »

Mainline/uTorrent and Azureus DHT are different (unfortunate though that may be). And since Mainline IS mainline after all, it's more or less Azureus' fault.
Lord_neo

Post by Lord_neo »

avatarl wrote:Mainline/uTorrent and Azureus DHT are different (unfortunate though that may be). And since Mainline IS mainline after all, it's more or less Azureus' fault.

understood. I didn't know it... so it is a small limitation for deluge...isn't it? :roll: is the mainline dht better than azureus dht?

I ask to you because i don't know... :lol:
Leecher
Leecher

Post by avatarl »

I don't know, but if you ask me, in the end it's more of which one has the most userbase. Seeing though that a lot of people drop Azureus in favor of A BETTER CLIENT (personal opinion included, there are far better clients than IEATALLYOURRAM Azureus -now with Vuze GPL breach-, Deluge included), I'd rather stick with the Mainline DHT that all other clients use.
Lord_neo

Post by Lord_neo »

Understood :)

nevertheless I believe in Deluge :mrgreen:
Leecher
Leecher

Post by avatarl »

Well, obviously, Deluge is a great client (wish it wouldn't crash on my PC so often though) :P. And it, too, uses the Mainline DHT.
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

re: avatari

Please before showing anymore Fanboyism understand that Azureus DHT was made well before Mainline DHT. Bram didn't even put together any DHT, he only hauled ass after Azureus's DHT was widely praised, and became a popular new addition. Also since Bram just rushed together the Mainline DHT, you can see that it doesn't have any functionality or extensibility something the Azureus DHT seems to do well. Azureus DHT can have per Torrent chat rooms, Magnet URI's, per Torrent ratings, etc... To this day, Azureus is the larger of both DHT's and that says alot about a client that alot of people hate for being a RAM whore. So please no more FUD, both DHT's are good for what they do but one isn't better then the other.

I would actually like to see more of Azureus DHT being supported, most programmers go the Mainline route because it is easier to incorporate but that doesn't mean it is the DHT layer that provides the most Horsepower.
Leecher
Leecher

Post by avatarl »

Azureus is already getting abandoned due to the Vuze thing anyway (bundling a non-GPL license -Vuze Platform- into a GPL software and FORCING the user to accept it in order to install... Right... GPL, sure...) And if it was so great, the Azureus developers would have just immediately share the DHT implementation with the other providers. Many of the things you praise Azureus DHT for doing I find useless at best. I mean, I just love per Torrent chat rooms... And magnet... Never even needed to use them.

And the "best" doesn't always wins, the most convenient does, as seen in a number of digital media adaptation. And since everyone else uses the Mainline DHT, sooner or later it'll dominate, if it doesn't already.

Go troll someone else :P
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I didn't say one is better then the other ... I said they are both good, just a plain and simple truth that Azureus DHT is extensible and cannot be discounted or disregarded as some POS implementation. Mainline DHT is only popular amongst clients because of the ease of implementation, and since sooo many clients can easily integrate it, this allows people like you to make such simple assertions that Mainline DHT is better then the Azureus DHT.

I personally don't like Azureus the client as it was getting too intensive and bloated. Also I don't like where they are going with this Content Distribution system, but I gotta give them credit for being BT's innovators. People always go the Mainline route, but Azureus to this day is going against the grain and Implementing the newest ideas. Azureus was first with BT Protocol (not Header) Encryption, first to implement WebSeed, first to use RSS feeds, first to have Peer Exchange, first to have DHT this list goes on. I agree with you that eventually Mainline DHT will win out if other clients keep popping up supporting Mainline ... but to those who want to make an Azureus DHT client as you would know Azureus is open source and everything is out there for you to read and find. Until now though Azureus still has a large userbase and it is worth tapping into.
amc1
New User
New User

Post by amc1 »

Didn't really intend to stop here and reply, MoJo's actually covered most of the arguments, but since I read this stuff...
avatarl wrote:Azureus is already getting abandoned due to the Vuze thing anyway
No it isn't. Not at all. Next.
bundling a non-GPL license -Vuze Platform- into a GPL software
All the software consisting of the client is GPL.
and FORCING the user to accept it in order to install... Right... GPL, sure...)
You can run it "outside" of the installer - from the JAR file, or use an older installer and auto-update. The software is GPL, that's all there is to it.
And if it was so great, the Azureus developers would have just immediately share the DHT implementation with the other providers.
Or... perhaps... they were busy coding and doing other things? Not all developers have the time or inclination to document things - doesn't make it any better or worse.