Certain torrent files are reported as invalid

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
kaseki
New User
New User

Certain torrent files are reported as invalid

Post by kaseki »

Using Deluge 1.3.5 under Ubuntu 10.04, fully updated, and libtorrent-rasterbar6 0.15.9-2-lucid-ppa1. Deluge works very well on most torrent files and has previously done so on all torrent files since I converted to Ubuntu three years ago. However, recently I have found a failure to load certain torrent files. Deluge provides a message box with the content: "Invalid File unknown encoding:" on two lines when attempting to add such a file to the queue. These torrent files are found at http://www.subdesu.org. Subdesu asserts no changes in encoding have taken place recently. No one else commenting there (probably using different clients mostly under Windows OS) has complained about a problem.

An example of such a torrent file is http://www.anirena.com/?action=torrent-download&id=93. The files at issue (three tested so far) all have new strange naming, but similarly named torrent files for the same video but for lower resolution do not lead to the "Invalid File" complaint and operate normally. I can only guess that unknown to subdesu, there was an encoding change that other clients ignore, or else Firefox 15.0.1 somehow corrupts these files (but not others) when downloading them.

If anyone has a suggestion, or knowledge of a bug that is somehow relevant to this seemingly unique case, please let me know.

Thanks, and thanks Deluge Team for providing a client that [almost always] provides the capabilities I need.

kas
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Certain torrent files are reported as invalid

Post by Cas »

Coincidentally someone has opened a ticket with the same issue: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/2163
kaseki
New User
New User

Post by kaseki »

Thanks Cas for bringing the ticket to my attention.

Edit: Will the proposed fix address 10-bit encoding? (I'm aware of 10-bit encoded target files, but I don't think the three torrent files I've observed this problem with are 10-bit.)

kas
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

The problem is with the 'encoding' field within the torrent files themselves rather than the actual torrent data.
kaseki
New User
New User

Post by kaseki »

Yes, that is my impression. I see that my previous message was misleading. I meant to ask about torrent files that pointed to 10-bit encoded video data, as the example fix you listed led me to believe (because I know nothing about the details of how such torrent files are constructed) that the default was going to be to assume 8-bit.

In any case, you seem to be on top of the problem. Thanks for your help.

kas
kaseki
New User
New User

Post by kaseki »

Consistent with the description at the ticket site, I can confirm that use of a hex editor on representative problematic torrent files to replace the string "8:encoding0:" with "8:encoding5:UTP-8" results in normal behavior and successful file acquisition, including files with 10-bit encoding.

The problematic torrent files were built by mktorrent 1.013.

kas