Why won't Deluge delete containing folders?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
discmeister

Re: Why won't Deluge delete containing folders?

Post by discmeister »

Hi Cas,

I think I may have finally cracked it! Here goes...

First, I realised that Mountain Lion doesn't stop creating .ds_store files if you use the widely circulated Terminal command. That basically stopped working with Lion, allegedly. Instead I found an app called Asepsis which stores the files somewhere else - centrally on my local drive, I think. In any case, it no longer sticks .ds_store files in there.

I thought that would be it, but then when I did an ls -a I discovered .AppleDouble files in every folder. Basically I could create a new folder via SSH and it would be 'clean' - yet as soon as my Mac connected to the server via AFP, a .AppleDouble file would appear in the folder. I reckoned this was down to Netatalk in some way, so I did a bit of rooting around in the options and discovered one called noadouble which tells Netatalk to not create .AppleDouble fork files unless necessary. I'd rather it didn't do it at all, to be frank (!), but I selected it and tried again.

This time it works. I can download a folder via Deluge and then delete it all, including the folder. I can even be IN that folder via AFP on my Mac and it will delete it (as soon as I leave it via Finder I'm no longer able to go back into it, because it's not there). It's basically perfect!

I'll experiment with it more over the coming days and report back then. In the meantime, I'd like to thank you Cas, for your support and patience, and hope that this thread will prove useful to somebody else some day...

Discy
discmeister

Post by discmeister »

Hi Cas,

It'd be great in future if Deluge could have an option to delete even hidden .DS_Store and ._AppleDouble files from Linux filesystems. I've spent the past week or ten days experimenting with this and it's definitely the problem - because if I run Deluge or uTorrent on a Mac server using HFS+-formatted drives, they both behave perfectly. Unfortunately for me, my server primarily has to serve up files to an XBMCBuntu box - and it really doesn't like journaled HFS+ filesystems. So for now, I'm back running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with ext4 drives - and until something like Deluge factors in Apple users on a Linux server having this problem, I'll just have to delete the folders manually (no great hardship, but, well, I thought I'd at least register it so maybe it can be considered for future versions?!).

Thanks for all your input on this.

Discy
discmeister

Post by discmeister »

Hi all,

Just wondering how easy/difficult it would be to have a 'Dirty Folders' plug-in for Deluge that essentially looks for hidden files like these and removes them before doing the 'Delete all data' command? Something similar has been implemented on Transm*****n but, well, the rest of that set-up is just nowhere near as good as Deluge. It could be a plugin designed for those who are using Macs and Windows machines to access ext3/ext4 filesystems...?

Discy