Does Deluge hand out any ports other than those in cfg?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Wowbagger

Does Deluge hand out any ports other than those in cfg?

Post by Wowbagger »

Does Deluge offer any ports to clients other than those listed in outgoing_ports and listen_ports? I have a fairly paranoid firewall set up, any I operate on the assumption that any attempt to access a port other than one I've personally cleared for traffic to be a sign of a potentially hostile act. I have the firewall set up to allow traffic to the ports specified in outgoing_ports and listen_ports, but I am getting a large amount of traffic to other ports, and my firewall rules are telling me that several hosts generating that traffic are later accessed by Deluge.

So, I have 2 competing hypothesis on this:
1) Deluge is handing out port addresses outside the range I've told it to use. Clients are legitimately attempting to access the ports they've been given, but because the firewall doesn't know about that, they get blocked.
2) Many clients are bad actors, and having discovered a potential target (e.g. a Bittorrent server) they proceed to attack it.

If option 1, I want to fix the allowed ports, as blocking them is preventing desired traffic.
If option 2, I want to feel free to totally blacklist such hosts, both at the firewall rules level AND at within Deluge.

But outside an exhaustive review of Deluge's sources, how can I test which hypothesis is correct?