pieces and unique pieces

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
shirish
Seeder
Seeder

pieces and unique pieces

Post by shirish »

Hi all,
i'm unsure about whether to post it in support, Development or in Plugins hence putting it in Support. If need be please move it to whatever corner it is best. I am no developer.

First up though, thank you for Deluge and especially thanx to the author nick for his Pieces plugin. I do however understand that whenever libtorrent 0.16 comes it should have/replicate the Pieces plugin functionality. Now the pieces plugin just gives me idea about when some piece somewhere in the torrent which is good. There are however number of improvements that could be made :-

a. Have someway of figuring out which piece belongs to which file. Right now when you complete the piece it turns green (I know you can add/edit colors but using standard/default) and red when it's downloading and black when it's empty. This would be nice to have. - A wishlist.

b. Another wishlist would be having some kind of visual indicator of the unique pieces that another user has - Let's take an e.g. I have a large torrent that is say around 10 GB . And let the torrent have 30 files. Let's say there are only 2-3 peers, leechers or/and seeders for that torrent. Maybe I came in late or it's a niche torrent. Either way I'm slightly screwed.

Now there are two basic strategies you can use herein :-

a. Just put all the files within the torrent to download and hope for the best.
b. Download each file sequentially and keep an eye when one file (of the multi-file torrent) has been completely downloaded.

Obviously I use the latter method (b.) . And this is where both it's a joy and a source of frustration. Now when I'm potentially downloading/leeching and other people/connections connect I'm just able to see their percentage and a progress bar which tells how much of the torrent they have. This though is not enough. This raises more questions than answers for me esp. if the other connection/person does not have the torrent completed (anything >100) . The question have is :-

The percentage given by the other connection/IP/person, is it of the total torrent or just that part of the torrent that I'm interested in ? Because it may be so, that the connection says 35% but 35% of what, the complete torrent file or 35% of the part of the multi-file torrent ?

Now a better way to visualize it would be having something like 'unique pieces plugin' . This visualization would tell you how many unique or/and rare pieces the other connection/IP/person has.

It would be nice to know what people (and esp. developers) think about that ?

Another query? Does anybody know when deluge 1.3.6 is gonna be released ? I know it will be out when it will be out but still any ideas would be nice.
Debian Sid, Intel Dual-Core, 512 kbps DL , 64 Kbps UL, deluge-1.3.5, pieces plugin, GNOME 3.4.x

All posts under creative commons http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/