Out of disk space and encoding errors

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Keiji

Out of disk space and encoding errors

Post by Keiji »

Hi, I found an interesting bug.

A few days ago, I started to download a 2.2 GB torrent, which leaved me with only a few hundred megabytes of free space.

After it got to around 70%, I had no seeds, updating tracker did nothing, and pausing and resuming did nothing, so I decided to do what I usually do next, which is restart Deluge.

That caused a disk space error, for some reason, the few hundred megs left on my HD were too little for it, even though it'd already allocated enough space for the torrent already.

I restarted it again, and it said there was an encoding error. I deleted persistant.state, and it worked, but I lost all my progress and decided to delete the downloaded files and give up on that one.

Currently, it's downloading a working torrent, so I don't want to try any suggestions you might have for fixing this until that finishes, but does anyone have any ideas why this happens and how to fix it?

Edit: And don't suggest freeing up disk space - that's obvious.
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Out of disk space and encoding errors

Post by markybob »

Keiji wrote:Hi, I found an interesting bug.

A few days ago, I started to download a 2.2 GB torrent, which leaved me with only a few hundred megabytes of free space.

After it got to around 70%, I had no seeds, updating tracker did nothing, and pausing and resuming did nothing, so I decided to do what I usually do next, which is restart Deluge.

That caused a disk space error, for some reason, the few hundred megs left on my HD were too little for it, even though it'd already allocated enough space for the torrent already.

I restarted it again, and it said there was an encoding error. I deleted persistant.state, and it worked, but I lost all my progress and decided to delete the downloaded files and give up on that one.

Currently, it's downloading a working torrent, so I don't want to try any suggestions you might have for fixing this until that finishes, but does anyone have any ideas why this happens and how to fix it?

Edit: And don't suggest freeing up disk space - that's obvious.
you could use compact allocation instead. note that only torrents added after you change the preference will use compact; ie, currently running torrents will remain using full
Keiji

Re: Out of disk space and encoding errors

Post by Keiji »

Uhm, I'd rather not do that. Allocating everything at the start makes it faster, and doesn't let me use up space necessary to complete the download.

It seems it gives the error if I'm already downloading a torrent bigger than the remaining space on startup - i.e. if I have X bytes free, I can download a torrent smaller than X bytes, but if it's bigger than X/2 bytes, then it'll break if I restart Deluge.