Weird Extractor plugin error (Solved)

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
pho
New User
New User

Weird Extractor plugin error (Solved)

Post by pho »

I just installed Backtrack r5 and deluge 1.3.2 and for some reason the Extractor plugin has an error (below). All other plugins including 3rd party Toggle and Graphs work fine. I have no such problem on another machine with a similar setup and the extractor works fine there. Ive installed all the dependencies for Ubuntu/Debian so this has me stumped, any help would be appreciated.

Code: Select all

[ERROR   ] 20:23:44 pluginmanagerbase:138 Unable to instantiate plugin!
[ERROR   ] 20:23:44 pluginmanagerbase:139 <module 'extractor' from '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/extractor.pyc'> has no 'CorePlugin' attribute
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/deluge-1.3.2-py2.6.egg/deluge/pluginmanagerbase.py", line 135, in enable_plugin
    cls = entry_point.load()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 1953, in load
    raise ImportError("%r has no %r attribute" % (entry,attr))
ImportError: <module 'extractor' from '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/extractor.pyc'> has no 'CorePlugin' attribute
deluged with gtk UI 1.3.2 running on Backtrack r5 (basically Ubuntu 10.04)
python 2.6.5
libtorrent 0.14.10-1
Linux 2.6.38 #1 SMP Thu Mar 17 20:52:18 EDT 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
etx4 file system
rar,unrar (3.90 BETA 2),unzip (6.00) in /usr/bin
installed from source via the instructions for Ubuntu/Debian on http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Installing/Source

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by pho on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Weird Extractor plugin error

Post by Cas »

I cannot reproduce your issue, have you verified the md5sum of the deluge archive then tried re-installation?

Could you list the contents of this directory:

/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/deluge-1.3.2-py2.6.egg/deluge/plugins 
pho
New User
New User

Post by pho »

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2011-06-08 09:53 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root  4096 2011-06-08 09:53 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28838 2011-06-08 09:53 AutoAdd-1.02-py2.6.egg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 42359 2011-06-08 09:53 Blocklist-1.2-py2.6.egg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18493 2011-06-08 09:53 Execute-1.2-py2.6.egg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13290 2011-06-08 09:53 Extractor-0.1-py2.6.egg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     0 2011-06-08 09:53 __init__.py
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  2020 2011-06-08 09:53 init.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   169 2011-06-08 09:53 __init__.pyc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1494 2011-06-08 09:53 init.pyc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35622 2011-06-08 09:53 Label-0.1-py2.6.egg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 36519 2011-06-08 09:53 Notifications-0.1-py2.6.egg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  2833 2011-06-08 09:53 pluginbase.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3461 2011-06-08 09:53 pluginbase.pyc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 21916 2011-06-08 09:53 Scheduler-0.2-py2.6.egg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11294 2011-06-08 09:53 WebUi-0.1-py2.6.egg
I will try re-installing later today when i get home from work. It could be I screwed up the with the --install-layout=deb switch when I installed, I cant remember. I did it in quite a hurry as I was trying to get through setting up a fresh OS as quickly as possible. Ill post back my results after a reinstall.
pho
New User
New User

Post by pho »

Well I noticed you updated the Deluge PPA so I added it to my repository and reinstalled 1.3.2-1~lucid~ppa3. Also updated libtorrent to 0.15.6-2~lucid~ppa1.

The Extractor plugin still wont enable. All other plugins still work fine.

At this point I'm guessing there is something wrong with my Python but I cant figure it out yet. If anyone has any ideas about what might be going wrong, I'd appreciate the input.

[ERROR   ] 12:36:34 pluginmanagerbase:138 Unable to instantiate plugin!
[ERROR   ] 12:36:34 pluginmanagerbase:139 <module 'extractor' from '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/extractor.pyc'> has no 'CorePlugin' attribute
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/deluge-1.3.2-py2.6.egg/deluge/pluginmanagerbase.py", line 135, in enable_plugin
    cls = entry_point.load()
ImportError: <module 'extractor' from '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/extractor.pyc'> has no 'CorePlugin' attribute
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Can you see if that file /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/extractor.pyc exists and if so create backup then delete it.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

pho wrote:Well I noticed you updated the Deluge PPA so I added it to my repository and reinstalled 1.3.2-1~lucid~ppa3. Also updated libtorrent to 0.15.6-2~lucid~ppa1.

The Extractor plugin still wont enable. All other plugins still work fine.

At this point I'm guessing there is something wrong with my Python but I cant figure it out yet. If anyone has any ideas about what might be going wrong, I'd appreciate the input.

[ERROR   ] 12:36:34 pluginmanagerbase:138 Unable to instantiate plugin!
[ERROR   ] 12:36:34 pluginmanagerbase:139 <module 'extractor' from '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/extractor.pyc'> has no 'CorePlugin' attribute
    cls = entry_point.load()
Maybe you have a python module call extractor that is causing problems? Does python -c 'import extractor' give you an error?
pho
New User
New User

Post by pho »

Cas wrote:Can you see if that file /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/extractor.pyc exists and if so create backup then delete it.
OK tried that, restarted deluged and deluge-gtk, checked to enable extractor, it recompiled extractor.py into extractor.pyc and I still get the exact same error.

Is there something I can do to increase the the error logging into something that actually has a meaning to me (or you)? Ive read the code around the error points in the relevant files and searched through a buncha files for anything that has "CorePlugin" in it and came up with no search results. Im a fair programmer, but Im not very familiar with python or the deluge code but it seems to me there should be something else I can do to to track down this error.
andar wrote:Maybe you have a python module call extractor that is causing problems? Does python -c 'import extractor' give you an error?
No error there, no output at all. Which I think should be good.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

pho wrote:
Cas wrote:Can you see if that file /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/extractor.pyc exists and if so create backup then delete it.
OK tried that, restarted deluged and deluge-gtk, checked to enable extractor, it recompiled extractor.py into extractor.pyc and I still get the exact same error.

Is there something I can do to increase the the error logging into something that actually has a meaning to me (or you)? Ive read the code around the error points in the relevant files and searched through a buncha files for anything that has "CorePlugin" in it and came up with no search results. Im a fair programmer, but Im not very familiar with python or the deluge code but it seems to me there should be something else I can do to to track down this error.
andar wrote:Maybe you have a python module call extractor that is causing problems? Does python -c 'import extractor' give you an error?
No error there, no output at all. Which I think should be good.
No, thats bad. It means that there is an extractor python module that Deluge tries to import instead of the extractor plugin. Probably a bug in Deluge why it does this, but thats likely the problem you're encountering.
pho
New User
New User

Post by pho »

andar wrote:No, thats bad. It means that there is an extractor python module that Deluge tries to import instead of the extractor plugin. Probably a bug in Deluge why it does this, but thats likely the problem you're encountering.
hmm I think you may be onto something here. I looked at the file deluge is trying to run as the extractor plugin /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/extractor.py in a text editor and I dont think its related to deluge ... heres the first bit of the file ...

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
## Python bindings for GNU libextractor
## 
## Copyright (C) 2006 Bader Ladjemi <bader@tele2.fr>
##
## This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
## it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
## the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
## (at your option) any later version.
##
## This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
## but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
## MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
## GNU General Public License for more details.
##
## You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
## along with this program; see the file COPYING. If not, write to the
## Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139,
## USA.
##
"""
Python bindings for GNU libextractor

libextractor is a simple library for keyword extraction.  libextractor
does not support all formats but supports a simple plugging mechanism
such that you can quickly add extractors for additional formats, even
without recompiling libextractor. libextractor typically ships with a
dozen helper-libraries that can be used to obtain keywords from common
file-types.  

libextractor is a part of the GNU project (http://www.gnu.org/).     
"""

This does not look right :) So, what can I do about it? Any Suggestions?
pho
New User
New User

Re: Weird Extractor plugin error (Solved)

Post by pho »

Yep that was the problem, I found some packages that had been installed by default in the distro, namely "metagoofil", which required a package called "extract", which required "libextractor" and "libextractor-plugins".

I uninstalled these packages, restart deluge and the extractor plugin now works.

Not sure what can be done on the development of deluge to try and prevent this error for others other than renaming extractor.py to something nobody else would use.

Thanks andar and cas for helping me, nice catch.