Getting error where do I find out what the error is?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
sdad

Getting error where do I find out what the error is?

Post by sdad »

Completely unfamiliar with torrents and the jargon that goes with it. All I want to do is down load some files that are available only as torrents. Using Ubuntu 10.04, installed Deluge from package manager, and all went well. In fact I have managed somehow, no idea how, to download 2 files. But now, nothing. The gui has an area on left labeled state and in that it says all is (1), downloading is (1), expanding trackers says error (1), and piratesbay.org is my tracker ( did I say that right?)

Below, under staus it says that my tracker timed out, sometimes it says connection refused so apparently that's my error? How do I fix that? Select a different tracker as #0? The main screen says I have 0 seeds and 0 (2) peers, whatever that means. Bottom line, no downloading . I tested active port, has green check mark. Port selection is inside your recommended range, but because I have a firewall with rules, I am using a specific port #, not random. Same port for upload.

I'd assume that the defaults from the distribution should be a reasonable place to make things go.

My firewall is allowing tcp and udp connections. I see that there are both udp and http connections for the tracker options that I have, but not sure what the numbers (levels) are all about and if I can have more that 1 tracker on a specific level (I currently have 4, do they need to be 0,1,2,3 or can the all be 0?)

Anyone tackle this??? :lol:

Just started watching a download begin, but have a connection refused message going still, what is with that :o
loki

Re: Getting error where do I find out what the error is?

Post by loki »

Have a little patience with torrents, some take a little while to get up to speed. Or you may have found a torrent without any seeds or with a tracker that went offline. Remedying a situation where a torrents tracker has gone offline can be troublesome at best especially if you don't know what trackers other than the ones listed, if any, it is currently using.

Possibly when you see that there's still an error yet you're still getting peers or seeds it may have found them off the DHT if you had that enabled.

The numbers or levels on the tracker page are there for when you are wanting to change the priority of which tracker it should try first, normally it starts at the top one and works it's way down until it finds one that is working. If you know for a fact that a certain one is working or has more seeds or peers, you would want to rank that one highest or "0" and rank everything else lower. I suppose it doesn't matter if there's multiples with the same number it's just going to reduce the usefulness of the feature. And udp vs http trackers, I'm not quite sure myself but I heard somewhere udp is supposed to be better on the tracker as far as resources used, and it has other specific pros and cons... that I just don't know the specifics or cared enough to learn.

Any other questions or if you want to just dive right in Google offers vast amounts of information on almost anything you type in...
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Getting error where do I find out what the error is?

Post by johnnyg »

sdad wrote:piratesbay.org is my tracker [...] Below, under staus it says that my tracker timed out, sometimes it says connection refused
The pirate bay no longer has a tracker, I'd suggest replacing it with:

Code: Select all

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce
To do that right click on the torrent and select "edit trackers", and then select the tracker you wish to edit (thepiratebay.org in this case) and then hit "edit".
Enter the new tracker (i.e. the one above) and hit "ok" and then "ok" again.
It should announce to the new trakcer, otherwise you can force an announce by right clicking on the torrent and selecting "update tracker".
sdad wrote:I am using a specific port #, not random. Same port for upload.
What do you mean by the same port for upload? Incoming and outgoing ports should be different...