Queue Settings FAQ?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
brookie
New User
New User

Queue Settings FAQ?

Post by brookie »

Hello,

I've been scouring the forums and the net trying to find some explanation about the Queue/Seeding/Settings in Deluge 1.3, and I cannot find any information anywhere. Not in the FAQs or the Tweaking Guide, or on the Ubuntu Forums. So I thought I post my settings and ask if we could get the descriptions added to the FAQ.

Here are my settings, mostly taken from the Bandwidth Tweaking Guide for Preferences/Queue:

Queue/General:
New torrents to top, checked

Queue/Active Torrents:
Total active, 10
Total active downloading, 15
Total active seeding, 10
Do not count slow torrents, checked

Now for the Queue/Seeding settings where nothing is mentioned in the FAQ:
Share Ratio Limit, 1 ...should this match the "stop seeding when share ratio reaches" setting?
Seed Time Ratio, 7 ...seed time ratio? what does this mean and what would be a good setting?
Seed Time (m), 180 ...does this affect the seed time ratio setting above?
Stop seeding when share ratio reaches: 1, checked
Remove torrent when seed ratio reached, checked

How do the "Share Ratio Limit", and the "Stop seeding when share ratio reaches: ?" settings play together.

How do the Seed Time Ratio and the Seed Time (m) play together?

Just a little confusion with users on the Seeding settings where a little documentation would clear things up.

Thank you for your time.
Cheers,
brook

ps, see attached queue settings jpg
Attachments
Deluge_1.3_Queue_Settings_2.jpg
Deluge_1.3_Queue_Settings_2.jpg (152.38 KiB) Viewed 82167 times
viharm

Re: Queue Settings FAQ?

Post by viharm »

Hi,

I agree with brookie. There is a considerable gap in the knowledgebase regarding the queue settings, particularly seeding ratio. The following settings (from the config file) corresponding to brookie's queries need to be clarified:
  • share_ratio_limit
  • stop_seed_ratio
  • seed_time_ratio_limit
  • stop_seed_at_ratio
  • del_copy_torrent_file
  • move_completed
  • remove_seed_at_ratio
I saw in another topic that someone had lost their downloaded files and I suspect that one of the above settings is responsible. I hope this issue resolved quickly. Thanks.

Regards.
gazpachoking

Post by gazpachoking »

brookie wrote: Now for the Queue/Seeding settings where nothing is mentioned in the FAQ:
Share Ratio Limit, 1 ...should this match the "stop seeding when share ratio reaches" setting?
Seed Time Ratio, 7 ...seed time ratio? what does this mean and what would be a good setting?
Seed Time (m), 180 ...does this affect the seed time ratio setting above?
These 3 values control how seeds are rotated when you have more torrents seeding than total active seeding slots. I'm not exactly sure how the numbers are combined to determine when to switch seeds, but I think these are the general purpose:
Share Ratio Limit: Rotate seeds based on ratio
Seed Time Ratio: Rotate seeds based on time seeding vs time leeching
Seed Time: Rotate based on total time spent seeding
(Torrents will never be stopped based on these settings, just rotated between queued and seeding)
Stop seeding when share ratio reaches: 1, checked
Remove torrent when seed ratio reached, checked
These settings will stop (and remove if appropriate) a torrent when it reaches a certain ratio. (seed will be taken out of rotation when ratio reaches stop seed ratio
viharm

Post by viharm »

That sounds like a reasonable explanation. Thanks.

Regards.
Itanaman
New User
New User

Post by Itanaman »

Here's my understanding of the settings:

The first 3 setting affect rotation as another user stated. However, I felt more clarification is needed, as it didn't really answer for me what each one setting actually means. At the end I also have a further question that I still need further clarification on, and hope someone can help. So here goes:

Under the Seeding section in the Queue Category:

The first 3 settings are basically if/or statements to decide on whether or not to have a torrent active or queued, by:

Share Ratio Limit: This one is straightforward for most people, but is basically states if the ratio of seeding/downloaded in size reaches this then place torrent into queued status

Seed Time Ratio: This one was not originally very clear to me, but I found out from another forum it basically means, if time seeding/time downloaded >= this amount, then set torrent to queued status Example, if it takes 10 minutes to download a torrent, and you have this set at 7.00, then the torrent will seed for roughly 70 minutes (70/10 = 7) before going to queued status.

Seed Time (m): This is also pretty straight forward, and means if a torrent has seeded for x minutes, then place to queued status.

Setting any of these of course to -1 bypasses that test on the torrent.

Stop seeding when share ratio reaches: Means the torrent will stop altogether after it has reached this limit.

Remove Torrent when share ratio reached -- This is the one I need more help on. Does it remove the torrent from Deluge, or from Deluge and the computer? If it's the latter is their a way to stop it from doing that?

Thanks, and in case someone didn't notice there is a question here on my post to be answered as well please.
bengt_a

Post by bengt_a »

Interesting discussion. However, I don't understand how to restart a torrent once it has reached it's limit. I had set the share ratio to 5, after which the torrent went to "Paused". But when I change the "Stop seeding when...", as well as the other settings to much higher numbers, the torrent stays at "Paused".

How can I get it to continue seeding?
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

The global settings are simply defaults that are applied to new torrents when they are added. You have to manually change old torrents after the fact. You can go in and manually change specific ones or you can use a plugin like labelplus to make it apply to all torrents with a specific label.
bengt_a

Post by bengt_a »

Thanks! I found it in the Options tab at the bottom! Awesome!
I had only been trying to right click on the torrents before.
zaphod0414
New User
New User

Post by zaphod0414 »

bengt_a wrote:Interesting discussion. However, I don't understand how to restart a torrent once it has reached it's limit. I had set the share ratio to 5,
Turn "Automanaged" off and you get full manual control over starting and stopping torrents. It's in the "Options" section when you right-click a torrent.
cbrace

Post by cbrace »

I found this thread because I was looking for more information on how the Deluge queue works.

Question: There is a submenu called Queue on the torrent RMB menu offering four options: Top, Up, Down, Bottom

How does this setting interact with the settings described above by @Itanaman?

The Deluge queue really needs to be throughly documented somewhere.