Trying to seed already downloaded files?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
nickeh

Trying to seed already downloaded files?

Post by nickeh »

Hi, i have a few files that has been released in a single torrent instead of lots of single torrents.

I have renamed the files that were renamed when the torrent creater created the new torrent and checked that they are the same (filename and size)

After making sure they are infact the same files i download the torrent, when the "add torrent window appears" i rename the folder containg all the files so it matches what i call the folder on my computer then clicks add torrent.

I then double check and everything seems fine, so now i do a force recheck but now everything goes wrong. Instantaniusly deluges starts downloading, writing over the files i have already downloaded without checking their checksums?

I'm quite sure that it's not an issue with miss spelled filenames or folder names becaus deluge writes over the existing files.
The big question is why it wont check the files befor downloading?

Im, using deluge 1.2.3 on a gentoo server and deluge 1.2.3 gtk-client on my ubuntu laptop.

Could someone explain this? Could this be a bug and could someone else try this out to verificate so it's not just for me its broken.

I managed to do this once but after that deluge just redownloads everything.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Trying to seed already downloaded files?

Post by johnnyg »

First off always make a backup before trying to do this :P

That said, I do this all the time without any problems.

Just because the files have the same name and are the same size does not mean they are the same.

I'm not sure why you need to force recheck? If you've setup everything properly then when you add the torrent it should detect the existing files and start checking.

You could try upgrading to 1.3 RC2 and seeing if the problem persists.

Also what version of libtorrent are you using?
nickeh

Post by nickeh »

Well im sure that its the same files (should have same checksum)

I'm wondering if changing the folder name is the culprit? Will do some testing on that...

EDIT: Nope, same problem.... Well guess i'll have to wait till 1.3 gets allowed on the trackers i'm using...
One thought, if one file missmatch deluge would only overwrite that file not all of the files or is the checksum for the whole torrent?
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

The torrent is broken up into segments of data called pieces and there are checksums for each piece.
Pieces can span multiple files.
So it's possible for one file to check but not the others.
It's also possible for only part of a file to check.

The main mistake when checking for already downloaded files is that if your torrent contains a file within a folder such as "A/B" and that file is on your drive as /downloads/A/B
then you need to point Deluge to /downloads where it will see the folder A and then look inside to see the file B.
nickeh

Post by nickeh »

Yeah, but the foders ar set up correctly since the files are actually overwritten.

I'm gessing there is something strange with my files but filname and size match, but since its working for others i guess deluge isn't to blame for this :)
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

File checking is done by libtorrent, what version are you using?
nickeh

Post by nickeh »

0.14.9-r1 (From gentoo portage)
Saw that there was an update now i will install it and check if it goes better the next time
furii
New User
New User

Post by furii »

did you ever figure this out? i'm in the same situation. i'd like to switch over from rtorrent/rutorrent to deluge but not being able to seed already downloaded files could be a big stumbling block. i'm running deluged 1.2.3 on lucid lynx with libtorrent-rasterbar5 0.14.10-2 in conjuction with deluge 1.2.3 from my windows laptop to do the administering. whenever i tell deluge to save to a folder where i already have files it does not even attempt to check the preexisting files and instead creates temp files (eg _1EPSJ~3.ext) and starts the download. any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: actually i seem to have found the issue. the torrent was specifying all the files to be saved in folder ABC but i have them in DEF. i renamed the folder in deluge to . and then had it saving to /media/d/DEF/ and that is when it was creating the temp files. however, after renaming the folder on my server to ABC and telling deluge to download to /media/d/ without renaming the folder in the torrent it seems to be checking the files just fine. any dev care to comment? :)
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

furii wrote:edit: actually i seem to have found the issue. the torrent was specifying all the files to be saved in folder ABC but i have them in DEF. i renamed the folder in deluge to . and then had it saving to /media/d/DEF/ and that is when it was creating the temp files. however, after renaming the folder on my server to ABC and telling deluge to download to /media/d/ without renaming the folder in the torrent it seems to be checking the files just fine. any dev care to comment? :)
I believe the first method should have worked had you renamed the folder to '/'.
We do try to warn people about this beginner's trap in the faq: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Faq# ... nttodeluge
furii
New User
New User

Post by furii »

johnnyg wrote:
furii wrote:edit: actually i seem to have found the issue. the torrent was specifying all the files to be saved in folder ABC but i have them in DEF. i renamed the folder in deluge to . and then had it saving to /media/d/DEF/ and that is when it was creating the temp files. however, after renaming the folder on my server to ABC and telling deluge to download to /media/d/ without renaming the folder in the torrent it seems to be checking the files just fine. any dev care to comment? :)
I believe the first method should have worked had you renamed the folder to '/'.
We do try to warn people about this beginner's trap in the faq: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Faq# ... nttodeluge
unfortunately that results in the same thing as renaming the directory to the folder to '.', the preexisting files are ignored, temp files are created and the downloading starts. i did see that section of the faq earlier but that isn't the same issue i'm having. deluge *is* putting the files in the correct folder, it's just not using the ones that are there.

i was trying to be succinct in my first post but maybe a little more detail is necessary:

- the files on my server are sorted in /tv/show name/season XX/
- the torrent file contains several files that it wants to save in a directory named Show.Name.S02.ETC

now i tried this two (three including your suggestion) different ways and both had the same result
first:
- set the download path to /tv/show name/
- renamed the folder in the add torrent dialog to season XX
second (after some help from gazpachoking on irc):
- set the download path to /tv/show name/season XX/
- renamed the folder in the add torrent dialog to .

instead of checking the files already in the directory it creates new ones with a naming scheme of _ five random letters/numbers ~ letter/number followed by the extension. eg _NES1V~L.ext

now, if i instead:
- rename season XX to Show.Name.S02.ETC (resulting in /tv/show name/Show.Name.S02.ETC)
- set download path to /tv/show name/
- don't rename the the folder in the add torrent dialog
everything checks correctly and the torrent will seed.

hopefully this clarifies things a bit.