how to upgrade to the new release

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
flotoonie
New User
New User

how to upgrade to the new release

Post by flotoonie »

I am new to Linux and Deluge so please bear with me. I migrated from ktorrent about 3 days ago and have been very happy. But now there is this fancy new release. Do I just install the new gz file or do I have to uninstall the old deluge first? (like i would do in the windows environment I am used to).

If I do need to uninstall the old deluge what ´CLI´ command would I need to type in?

Thanks in advance
KCE
New User
New User

Re: how to upgrade to the new release

Post by KCE »

What distro are you running? Many distros have a package manager, gentoo - emerge, arch - pacman, etc. in which case you can download one of the packages, if not you have to install and compile it yourself.

Here's for Ubuntu
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/
flotoonie
New User
New User

Post by flotoonie »

I am currently running feisty.

I followed the guide you showed me and it recommended using the Add/remove program to remove the program. Deluge was not in the listed programs though.

I know how to install deluge from scratch but dont know if I should do a clean install after uninstalling the older version, or just install over the top of the old version.

If I have to uninistall the old one first do you know what command to use?

Cheers KCE
Tares

Post by Tares »

If you have installed ealier version from deb, then you dont have to remove old one. Just install the new deb :

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i deluge_deb_name.deb
but if you really want to uninstall it then :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove --purge deluge
Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala amd64
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

flotoonie wrote:I am currently running feisty.

I followed the guide you showed me and it recommended using the Add/remove program to remove the program. Deluge was not in the listed programs though.

I know how to install deluge from scratch but dont know if I should do a clean install after uninstalling the older version, or just install over the top of the old version.

Cheers KCE
depending on how you installed, you do:
apt-get --purge remove deluge-torrent
or
go into the source directly of deluge and:
make uninstall
flotoonie
New User
New User

Post by flotoonie »

Yeah I installed from a deb file.

I will follow your advice guys. Thanks for your help. This is a steep but enjoyable learning curve - Linux - and your quick response times have been good. Better than waiting a week for a reply eh?

Thanks again
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

flotoonie wrote:I am currently running feisty.

Cheers KCE
if you just want to upgrade and the first time around you used a deb, you dont have to remove the old install. just "sudo dpkg -i deluge-torrent-0.5.3-1_i386.deb" in a command prompt and it'll upgrade your current install.