Help me understand seed rank

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
psantucc
New User
New User

Help me understand seed rank

Post by psantucc »

I'm lost.

I have cleared up my earlier confusion between the meaning of "Share Ratio Limit" and "Stop seeding when share ratio reaches", and have read the FAQ:
Seeding torrents have no queue position! Why? ¶

Seeds use something called "seed rank" to determine which should be active and which should be queued. The seed rank is determined by the number of seed cycles a torrent has completed. Torrents with fewer completed seed cycles are prioritized for seeding. A seed cycle is completed when a torrent meets either the share ratio limit (uploaded bytes / downloaded bytes), the share time ratio (time seeding / time downloading) or seed time limit (time seeded).
If I read that right, though, my settings:

Share Ratio Limit: 1.40
Seed Time Ratio: -1.00
Seed Time (m): -1

Stop Seeding when share ratio reaches: 1.40

Should result in 0 seed cycles for all torrents, and thus an equal priority - the Time settings are unlimited, so they can't ever cause a cycle to complete, and if a torrent reaches a ratio of 1.40, it should stop seeding.

However, I have a wide variety of seed ranks in my seeding torrents. Can anyone explain that?

A further puzzle lies in two particular examples - two torrents each with x(13) peers - but the one with a seed rank of 37 was actively seeding, and the one with a seed rank of 0 was cued. I would have expected the reverse; perhaps seed rank is inversely, rather than directy, proportional to seed cycles completed?

Any information appreciated.
Thanks.
Vndtta
New User
New User

Re: Help me understand seed rank

Post by Vndtta »

I bring the post up because I don't understand it either, anyone can help please?
KashifSMalik

Post by KashifSMalik »

Bringing this 8-year old thread back to life because seed rank is still something that needs explaining. Plus, I am in the same boat as the original poster. So, input of any kind would be helpful.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

Hi Guys,

A first track to follow (see Cas answer) http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?t=43283
Getintene
New User
New User

Post by Getintene »

I got curious about this today too. I could not find a definitive answer here so went to the code to have a look. Spent an hour or so only finding references to referencing "seed_rank" but nothing assigning it. Then it dawned on me, deluge uses libtorrent. So a quick google search later and boom, it is a libtorrent value.

seed_rank
A rank of how important it is to seed the torrent, it is used to determine which torrents to seed and which to queue. It is based on the peer to seed ratio from the tracker scrape. For more information, see queuing. Higher value means more important to seed
Deluginton
New User
New User

Post by Deluginton »

If only the label was "Need-for-Seed Rank" instead. So much easier to understand. :)