5.2 appears to be useless

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Chas. Root
New User
New User

5.2 appears to be useless

Post by Chas. Root »

Greetings,
This is an attractive client but appears to not yet have any knowledge of peering on p2p networks.
As such, it doesn't do anything but look attractive. When will it have the knowledge and capabilities
og peering on many (most?) of the common p2p networks already in existence? I went to the help
button which was very un helpful. Will there be any clues/FAQ/notes on this application. Or
will it be up to the user to figure everything out and build what's missing to make it functional and
then hopefully document it so others can make this useful also? I'm attempting to use
v.5.2. But as you might have guessed, I'm having absolutely zero success.

I'm providing a screenshot of how many peers it sees and all other network statistics.

Thank you in advance for all your time and consideration in this matter.

P.S. I'm also adding the network prefs as a screenshot, in case that helps.
Attachments
Network settings.
Network settings.
2007-07-12_587x219.gif (38.35 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
Network statistics.
Network statistics.
2007-07-12_841x317.gif (47.42 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: 5.2 appears to be useless

Post by markybob »

Chas. Root wrote:Greetings,
This is an attractive client but appears to not yet have any knowledge of peering on p2p networks.
As such, it doesn't do anything but look attractive. When will it have the knowledge and capabilities
og peering on many (most?) of the common p2p networks already in existence? I went to the help
button which was very un helpful. Will there be any clues/FAQ/notes on this application. Or
will it be up to the user to figure everything out and build what's missing to make it functional and
then hopefully document it so others can make this useful also? I'm attempting to use
v.5.2. But as you might have guessed, I'm having absolutely zero success.

I'm providing a screenshot of how many peers it sees and all other network statistics.

Thank you in advance for all your time and consideration in this matter.

P.S. I'm also adding the network prefs as a screenshot, in case that helps.
wow. you need to read up on what bittorrent is, what it's used for and how it works. you will never have a connection unless you load up a torrent file which connections to a tracker, which then tells deluge which peers to connect to. deluge is *NOT* emule, or amule, or napster or shareaza or anything anywhere near those things. bittorrent is a completely different beast.
Chas. Root
New User
New User

Post by Chas. Root »

DOH!
OK, sorry for the noise. I'm afraid I confused this for all the things you just indicated that it is not. :oops:
As you seem quite knowledgeable about what deluge is.
Would you be kind enough to give me a good pointer to get me up to speed?

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.
Polygon

Post by Polygon »

deluge is a bittorent client

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorent

which means you have to go find a .torrent file of whatever you want to download, load it into deluge and then it will connect to the tracker, start getting peers and start downloading from them. After you download everything, it is very good practice to let the torrent seed, as in upload to everyone else in the swarm (everyone trying to DL the file) until your ratio is 2.0 (as in you uploaded twice as much as you downloaded), that way the swarm stays alive and ppl are not left without any seeders and therefore cannot download the entire file(s)
zachtib
Leecher
Leecher

Post by zachtib »

Hi,

As others have pointed out, I don't think you understand what a Torrent client is. You first need to find a .torrent file from one of the many bittorrent tracker sites on the internet, and then open it with Deluge in order to download anything.

Zach
Former Deluge Developer