Site-specific problem with connection to tracker

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
tbone
New User
New User

Site-specific problem with connection to tracker

Post by tbone »

Hi,

First I want to congratulate the developers on this excellent torrent client for linux. Great work!

I compiled and built Deluge 0.5.2 from source on my Ubuntu 7.04 earlier today. When adding torrents from various sites (also sites with passkeys), they connect and start like they should. Except from at one site, where after adding the torrent(s), it stays put at "Connecting". This site also has a passkey in the tracker url. The tracker is functioning itself, I asked for any tips at their forum, but haven't received any wise solutions yet ;)

So, I'm turning to you guys, in hope for any good tips or ideas. Could this be a problem with Deluge, or is it most plausible that this is a problem from the torrent site's point of view? Could it be that they don't allow the Deluge-client? Their FAQ does not mention Deluge as a banned client. If it turns out this isn't a problem with Deluge, perhaps I should get in touch with the site admin at the specific site?

Torbjørn
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Site-specific problem with connection to tracker

Post by markybob »

tbone wrote:Hi,

First I want to congratulate the developers on this excellent torrent client for linux. Great work!

I compiled and built Deluge 0.5.2 from source on my Ubuntu 7.04 earlier today. When adding torrents from various sites (also sites with passkeys), they connect and start like they should. Except from at one site, where after adding the torrent(s), it stays put at "Connecting". This site also has a passkey in the tracker url. The tracker is functioning itself, I asked for any tips at their forum, but haven't received any wise solutions yet ;)

So, I'm turning to you guys, in hope for any good tips or ideas. Could this be a problem with Deluge, or is it most plausible that this is a problem from the torrent site's point of view? Could it be that they don't allow the Deluge-client? Their FAQ does not mention Deluge as a banned client. If it turns out this isn't a problem with Deluge, perhaps I should get in touch with the site admin at the specific site?

Torbjørn
could be various things. some sites force you to log into their site first, so they can have your ip, which then allows you to actually talk to the tracker. have you logged into the site itself and then forced deluge to reannounce?
tbone
New User
New User

Post by tbone »

Hi Markybob,

yes, I have tried logging in, grabbing the torrent and starting it, and then logged out and in again at the site, with a reannounce in deluge. No success.
What are those other various potential reasons?

I find this thing very strange, since torrents from every other site I try work just like normal. One thing that I have noticed, is that the tracker given with the torrent, doesn't contain a ":<port mode>" after the hostname, like many of the other tracker urls do. It does not do that, because it communicates on port 80 - the standard port, according to the people at the torrent site's forum. Could this have relevance?
shirish
Seeder
Seeder

Post by shirish »

confirmed this one also with bitnation which also does the same thing. There is no port announce as it uses port 80.
using latest changeset 882. Did the following steps
  • Made clean
  • removed the .config/deluge
  • went to the site
  • logged out,
  • logged back in
  • paused the torrent
  • did update tracker
  • no effect
  • while connecting did update tracker
  • no effect
  • changed the upload bandwidth to 4 kbps & even lower in case handshake was not happening or something
  • no change
other torrents uploading happily. This used to work well with changeset 820 till changeset 870 something but with 4 kbps . http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/389. Perhaps you can try that. Meanwhile any other ideas?
Last edited by shirish on Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debian Sid, Intel Dual-Core, 512 kbps DL , 64 Kbps UL, deluge-1.3.5, pieces plugin, GNOME 3.4.x

All posts under creative commons http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/
tbone
New User
New User

Post by tbone »

Hi shirish,

Thanks for the input, it's good to see this bug confirmed. I tried the 4kb/s-solution, but with no luck.
shirish
Seeder
Seeder

Post by shirish »

Another potential solution. This might be if you are on gutsy as I observed this but with svn 1023 so it might fit or not your use-case. See if you have enabled compact storage collection. Although this preference should not have any bearing but clicking on it by mistake or otherwise does 2 things. You have no incoming connection shown on the status bar, as well the ones which do not have some port defined announce urls keep on showing connecting.
Debian Sid, Intel Dual-Core, 512 kbps DL , 64 Kbps UL, deluge-1.3.5, pieces plugin, GNOME 3.4.x

scoffer
New User
New User

Post by scoffer »

Same problem here..
I can seed and download on every site with rtorrent but with deluge I can connect to only some of trackers.

I have redownloaded .torrent files etc...

Could it be becouse deluges announce string is a bit different?

Deluge:
my.ip.address - - [19/Jul/2007:13:30:34 +0200] "GET /announce.php?passkey=b561f01981f0ac9aef56dd3c7473b5e0
&info_hash=k%e7%98Vl%90%08%b3Yrj%05G-%c8tl%b5B%f3&peer_id=-DE0520-ECWoGU5L2W2Q&port=6884
&uploaded=0&downloaded=0&left=59032168&key=1ec438d4&compact=1&numwant=200&supportcrypto=1&no_peer_id=1
HTTP/1.0" 200 67 "-" "Deluge 0.5.2"

rTorrent
my.ip.address - - [15/Jul/2007:17:16:16 +0200] "GET /announce.php?passkey=faafea09801bb5edec5aef7c87eb2a01
?info_hash=%BD%C7%F6%A8%26%EEL%85%A25%20%EC%E0%85%9F%BAN%D0%C2m&peer_id=-lt0A40-k%F9%7E%3C%CAT%C3%82%0F%1C%0B%88
&key=110943be&compact=1&port=6978&uploaded=5163101310&downloaded=0&left=0
HTTP/1.1" 200 94 "-" "rtorrent/0.6.4/0.10.4"

edit :
Forgot to say but I have tried 0.5.3 RC1 and 0.5.2-1.
Distribution is Ubuntu Feisty

Also did you notice that at rtorrent its ?info_hash and at deluge it's &info_hash
scoffer
New User
New User

Post by scoffer »

This is very strange but I found temporarily solution.
I changed the connection ports to same what rtorrent uses and it started working...altought all my other clients work at deluges default ports but deluge doesn't properly.
plisk

Post by plisk »

shirish wrote:confirmed this one also with bitnation which also does the same thing. There is no port announce as it uses port 80.
using latest changeset 882.
Meanwhile any other ideas?
Just tried bitnation in both deluge and ktorrent. In ktorrent it writes in tracker status that port 6884 is blocklisted and don't connect. In deluge it's just writes connecting and do nothing using the same port. And if you change port to same random one both clients start downloading. So it's just because of blacklisted default ports on some trackers. So all this i think will results in just more informative Tracker Status message in Torrent Info area at the bottom and maybe some tweaks to status message in the queue.
shirish
Seeder
Seeder

Post by shirish »

plisk wrote:
shirish wrote:confirmed this one also with bitnation which also does the same thing. There is no port announce as it uses port 80.
using latest changeset 882.
Meanwhile any other ideas?
Just tried bitnation in both deluge and ktorrent. In ktorrent it writes in tracker status that port 6884 is blocklisted and don't connect. In deluge it's just writes connecting and do nothing using the same port. And if you change port to same random one both clients start downloading. So it's just because of blacklisted default ports on some trackers. So all this i think will results in just more informative Tracker Status message in Torrent Info area at the bottom and maybe some tweaks to status message in the queue.
Plisk,
I never use the default ports, I have always used custom ports (port-forwarded my modem/router) in the higher ranges 30k + as that is a good bet. I had also chatted in the bitnation IRC (irc.bitnation.com) to know if they block some ports and apart from default ports which you have said about it shouldn't be happening. I see you closed down ticket 389 http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/389#comment:2 and would be happy to assist in testing any new revision you throw at us. Dunno if this can/will be done in 0.5.3 or once it is out of the door. Just let us know when you plan to play with it. Looking forward to testing & reporting the same on the forum. Cheers!