Deluge causing disconnection

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
ambipro

Re: Deluge causing disconnection

Post by ambipro »

2 VPN in Deluge
--The Deluge version I have appears the same. What would go in this proxy? Would it be the IP address of the VPN server?
--There is also a place to enter a port. Would that be the port the VPN uses?
Sort of, the issue you will run into is going to be whether your VPN supports connections via protocols like "Socks4/5" that you see under the Proxy section. This is why I suggested using the VPN software since this would afford you the ability to not only use more "secure" protocols but change the server easily if you needed.

The IP address and port would be that of the remote VPN server, but they would need to support whatever protocol...it's not just copy paste the IP from the VPN software type thing.

Once again, you would need to refer to the VPN provider for information on setting up a service to use their VPN with one of the proxy protocols available, and in 1.x I'm not sure how faithfully it routes traffic compared to what dedicated VPN software would do...this all depends very heavily on the VPN, the setup you use, and the network you are on I suppose.
3 Windows 7
--So far, I have not found any software that does not work in Windows 7.
I'm just gonna let this go.
4 VPN
--When I say "not working", I mean because either its settings are wrong, or there is something interfering with it. I believe it can work. However, I will investigate that elsewhere because it is not a Deluge thing. (Although, I'll take any suggestions.)
Suggestions have been made, if you can't get support for a product you likely pay a monthly fee for (VPN) then take your money elsewhere. If you do not pay for this VPN, it's probably not a very good one and you can expect to get your money's worth and not much more.

Most VPN software these days consist of an "On" and "Off" button, and an optional "Location" selection...you can usually select specific apps if you don't want all traffic routed through the VPN. I'm not sure what settings you're thinking of, but once again this depends on your network setup and the VPN provider.

Sounds like you have some investigating to do, some testing to do, and some decisions to make. Hopefully you can figure it out fairly quickly/easily, though.

I'm almost certain, though, that your network is the issue (out of your control) and not something locally on your system (i.e. deluge/windows)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry for my noise before, and ambipro most probably correct in dpi or lesser advanced shaping filters imployed(since dorm or alike used here, known for such, plus blacklisted Mac seemingly).

If was me then would first try a free vpn, and download single small Linux ISO to make fully sure(some support a half or full gb a day, or alike, for free before needing pay, so e.g Debian netinstall iso for test download), and then remove and look for proper vpn as said. Maybe seedbox instead, as probably need keep bandwidth in mind too, to not get unwanted attention. As mentioned, forced encryption in deluge settings maybe in theory could help too, but probably not full workaround.

Anyway, just wanted correct myself and so please just ignore me and concentrate on ambipro's helpfull advice.
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

Hmm, yes...I guess I don't know enough about this.

The VPN appears very popular and powerful: https://www.softether.org

Thank-you, both.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

That appears, at first glance, to be a VPN hosting software you would run elsewhere - perhaps on a server or fast home connection somewhere - to run your own VPN....it doesn't appear to offer any services themselves.
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

It offers both/separate server and client installations.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

That's exactly what I was pointing out. I mentioned the server specifically because that would be a prerequisite for you to use softether.

You misunderstand me...I'm saying that what you are likely looking for is something like ExpressVPN, PrivateInternetAccess, or something that offers you the software _WITH_ the already setup VPN servers/network you can pretty much just click a few options and go. With Softether, you need the actual server to run the software on and connect to...That would need to be outside of your current network, or that would just end up being blacklisted instead of _YOUR_ machine and torrenting would still go nowhere.

Softether is also probably a bit more complicated/in-depth than the aforementioned examples of VPN hosts I gave, but I'm not making recommendations (those are just the most popular I'm aware of;) I was saying that it does not appear to offer you anywhere to have the actual VPN hosted on softether's site...so unless you have a physical server/VPS somewhere you can run the VPN server yourself (and this server would need ample bandwidth to torrent with, since all of your torrenting traffic would be routed through it) I'm not sure how softether would work in your case.

If you have a server, @mhertz's suggestion to use it as a seedbox was probably the most efficient solution, and just FTP or something the files you want, or use Plex and stream them if they are media files. He also made a valid point that even with a VPN, they will still be able to see the large traffic you are using, so if you intend on seeding/uploading at all - this would be obvious and possibly flag you. Using your server (if you have one) as a seedbox instead of just a VPN would solve this, and you would essentially be downloading just the files you needed, once. Much less of a red flag.

Either way...It sounds like you should be pointed mostly in the right direction to a solution. If not, you know where we reside.
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

It comes simply set up to easily connect to its own server(s). There is a long list to choose from. The list downloads and displays in the software. Choose, connect, go.
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

Here is some additional information I have taken time to observe. It consists of 2 situations and the results:

Activate VPN kill switch.
Connect to VPN
Wait some hours.
VPN and internet connection remain connected fine.
Disconnect from VPN
Deactivate VPN kill switch.
Connect to ISP: success.

Activate VPN kill switch.
Connect to VPN.
Open Deluge (even for only a few minutes)
VPN and internet connection remain connected fine, if left either a few minutes or hours.
Close Deluge.
Again, VPN and internet connection remain connected fine, if left additional few minutes or hours.
Disconnect from VPN
Deactivate VPN kill switch.
Connect to ISP: fail.
If I try to reconnect VPN, it fails (because no internet connection).
Only way to reconnect to internet is to create new adapter MAC address.

Conclusions:
The above are reproducible numerous times.
The only difference between 1 and 2 is Deluge.
If VPN were leaking, I would think internet connection would immediately fail when Deluge started, instead of remaining connected for many hours until I disconnnect (?).

Additional notes, might or might not help:
VPN has its own network adapter
When VPN connected, "Whats My IP" confirms public address as VPN
If, after a few minutes or hours, I try the MAC address from which I changed, it still will not work. However, after a day or 2, the same MAC address works again.

Does this give any clues? If you need any data, route table info, etc., let me know.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

I know this might sound crazy, but I'd try replicating this with another bittorrent client like qBittorrent or something to see if this is really something in the software or networking...because what you're saying - if configured properly - doesn't make much sense to me.
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

Not crazy. A good idea. Here is the result:

I tried qBittorrent. I tested it for 2 days.

When I disconnect VPN, turn kill switch off, ISP connects fine.
Back when I tried the 2 next versions of Deluge after the one I use, they would not download anything. Apparently, the newest version now, does not open in Windows 7. Oh, well.

I don't know why the version I am using has this problem, or how it could (?).