Connection refused to SOCKS5 proxy

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
mhertz

Re: Connection refused to SOCKS5 proxy

Post by mhertz »

Thanks for update and understandable. You can use --user installs without sudo for pip, automatically done when dropping sudo, but as is only using stuff here from Cas and Arvid, then thought allright(Edit: Actually, forgot the deps also, so yeah, you're right), and because people usually run deluged from e.g. deluge user etc, so guess would need user installs under said user also etc, well if not changing some stuff, and as some distro's don't have added by itself to path ~/.local/bin etc, so alot easier to post the sudo command for me then a bunch added extra instructions, but see your point as said.

Thanks for reporting issue solved presumable with newer deluge and/or libtorrent.

Edit: Btw, can also always make self-contained venv:

Code: Select all

python3 -m venv --system-site-packages ~/.local/deluge 
#(if having deluge already installed at latest version specifically, then need omit '--system-site-packages' from above, and after last line additionally run 'sed -i 's/false/true/' ~/.local/deluge/pyvenv.cfg' to make GTK-UI able to run through picking up local py-gobject bindings)
.local/deluge/bin/pip3 install -U deluge
Delete dir when not wanting it anymore and run it from '~/.local/deluge/bin/deluge'(don't need be that path, just example here) or make shortcut under path to it etc. If need libtorrent in same dir instead of taken from locally installed version, then add that to pip install command likewise. More proper way is to activate the venv firstly to access it, but personally prefer just running from it's path directly. This is nice for testing too, and can e..g. specify versions to install e.g. libtorrent==1.2.*, and keeps system fully clean while doing.
nicoco
New User
New User

Re: Connection refused to SOCKS5 proxy

Post by nicoco »

Follow-up: update to the debian bookworm, so still deluge 2.0.3 but libtorrent 2.0.8.0, and socks5 seems to work. I'm still getting some "host not found" and "permission denied" here and then, but torrents aren't all stalled as they were before, so it's good enough for me.

I wonder if wireguard-based proxying would be better than SOCKS5? Since I recently set it up on my VPS, I might give it a try, but I gotta learn stuff about network namespaces because I certainly don't want all my traffic proxied, just the torrents!