Deluge 2.1.0 failed to run on Ubuntu 20.04 because of libtorrent version miss match.

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
nemonein

Deluge 2.1.0 failed to run on Ubuntu 20.04 because of libtorrent version miss match.

Post by nemonein »

Hi.
I've just installed deluge 2.1.0 from official PPA, but failed to run on Ubuntu 20.04.

Code: Select all

# deluged
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/deluged", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('deluge==2.1.0', 'gui_scripts', 'deluged')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/core/daemon_entry.py", line 87, in start_daemon
    from deluge.core.daemon import is_daemon_running
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/core/daemon.py", line 19, in <module>
    from deluge.core.core import Core
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/core/core.py", line 26, in <module>
    from deluge._libtorrent import LT_VERSION, lt
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/_libtorrent.py", line 33, in <module>
    raise LibtorrentImportError(
deluge.error.LibtorrentImportError: Deluge 2.1.0 requires libtorrent >= 1.2.0.0
However, python3-libtorrent is 1.1.13 on Ubuntu 20.04.

apt policy python3-libtorrent
python3-libtorrent:
  Installed: 1.1.13-1.1build2
  Candidate: 1.1.13-1.1build2
  Version table:
 *** 1.1.13-1.1build2 500
        500 https://mirror.yongbok.net/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var-dpkg/status
Technically, this should not be installed on Ubuntu 20.04, but it is, because of the 'debian/control' file on the debian source file uses the old setting. I checked 'deluge_2.1.0-0_202206282059_ubuntu20.04.1.tar.xz' on the PPA.

Package: deluged
Architecture: all
Depends:
   ${misc:Depends},
   ${python3:Depends},
   deluge-common (= ${source:Version}),
   python3-libtorrent (>= 1.1.1)
So the questions are,
Is it possible to install python3-libtorrent newer than 1.2 on Ubuntu 20.04?
And installing it could solve the problem(Impossible to run Deluge)?
mhertz

Re: Deluge 2.1.0 failed to run on Ubuntu 20.04 because of libtorrent version miss match.

Post by mhertz »

Yeah you're right in that the control file is wrong and need updated. Btw don't know why deluge-dev(the one needing libtorrent 1.2 minimum) is on stable PPA but regardless.

I'm not home so forgive me for not posting links etc, but you need libtorrent 1.2.x or above if you keep using deluge-dev, which can be gotten from a libtorrent ppa or deluge development ppa which includes new libtorrent. Also can use python3-pip and install from pypa i.e ’sudo pip3 install libtorrent==1.2.*’, dittch the '==1.2.*' if wanting libtorrent 2.0.x. Last you could install(force) deluge stable i.e 2.0.5 from PPA, which does support libtorrent under 1.2.

I can help little better later if need, if not beaten :)
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Deluge 2.1.0 failed to run on Ubuntu 20.04 because of libtorrent version miss match.

Post by Cas »

I shall update the repo both by fixing the control file and including libtorrent 1.2 for Bionic and Focal.

If you need libtorrent in meantime you can use the daily PPA: https://code.launchpad.net/~libtorrent. ... /1.2-daily
nemonein

Post by nemonein »

Thank you guys.
Now it works fine through the PPA.
However there's something wrong about magnets with trackers.
I'll open another post for it.