After Upgrade to Ubuntu 21.04 I Am Unable to Move Torrents

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
roseysdaddy
New User
New User

After Upgrade to Ubuntu 21.04 I Am Unable to Move Torrents

Post by roseysdaddy »

I had my machine setup to download to a temp folder and then move to a separate folder based on the label of the torrent. That has worked flawlessly until I upgraded to the newest Ubuntu. I started to realize torrents were missing but they were just stuck in the temp folder. I cant even manually move them through the webui. I thought maybe I had a permissions error but even after changing the permissions of all the files/folders they still wont move.

Is there something that sticks out as the cause that Im missing? I guess I need to enable logging but what level of logging is needed and does it need to be logging of the webui or the daemon service? Any help would be super appreciated.
mhertz

Re: After Upgrade to Ubuntu 21.04 I Am Unable to Move Torrents

Post by mhertz »

'Debug' logging catches everything, though little "noisy", but that is what I always use myself, or else you can use 'info' to keep noise level at bay(it's the minimum log-level you define, so 'info' also saves 'warning' and 'errors'). The daemon would propperly be the only relevant to log I presume. Anyway, I remember there previously was an issue with deluge not being able to move storage while using libtorrent 1.2.9, and last I tested then was fixed, which was with 1.2.13, but haden't tested the previous versions, so quite possibly it was also fixed in an earlier version. So if using e.g. 1.2.9, then that is the problem and you need find or build newer version, if possible for you. I also tested with deluge 2.0.3 and newest dev version, at the time.
Last edited by mhertz on Mon May 03, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roseysdaddy
New User
New User

Post by roseysdaddy »

Thank you for the reply. I am on Deluge 2.0.3, but i will check the libtorrent version.

The only thing I can find in the logs is whenever I try to manually move the torrents, the webui-log shows:

Code: Select all

14:50:11 [CRITICAL][twisted                    :154 ] Unhandled error in Deferred:
although that doesn't mean anything to me.
roseysdaddy
New User
New User

Post by roseysdaddy »

Ok, after some digging, I am using libtorrent 1.2.9 . Im not exactly sure how upgrading an OS seemingly downgraded something like that, but here we are. Im not exactly sure what do even do from here, and by not exactly, I mean lost as heck.

When following the wiki i get to this:

./configure --enable-python-binding --with-libiconv

Missing configure script: (e.g. source code from git) create it with ./autotool.sh (requires extra packages: sudo apt-get install autoconf automake libtool). 
and I run the last part because the configure is missing but then the command still doesnt work.

./autotool.sh: command not found
after running

sudo apt-get install autoconf automake libtool
nop666
New User
New User

Post by nop666 »

Hi. I had the same problem after upgrading to 21.04 this week. I logged a bug report here:
https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/3469
But I eventually managed to solve it myself, based on similar reports.
The fix was to update LibTorrent 1.2.9 which (I think) came with Ubuntu 21.04, to a newer version. I went with a new daily build & that worked for me.
Good luck, & happy Torrenting. :)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks for posting your fix, and reporting bug, though is as you state a libtorrent bug and not deluge one, and annoying that newest Ubuntu, one of most popular Linux distro's, ships exactly with the version triggering this bug. Anyway, as you stated, using libtorrent 1.2.10 and above fixes it, or alternatively using 1.2.8 or under, e.g one of the earlier ubuntu's cannot remember specifics sorry, but do remember provides 1.2.5 which then also is a possibility, and just holding the package, untill they update or patch the package. It kinda buggles my mind how bad the situation is on ubuntu for some packages despite the enormous popularity of distro e.g both deluge and libtorrent versions existing with big issues for long time, e.g debian has patched the libtorrent 1.2.9 allready, which maybe also could be a solution using on ubuntu. Well, sorry little stupid said honestly, as doesn't matter how popular something is, as is a matter solely of comunity provided help, and people stepping up, just as the situation here with deluge itself.

Anyway OP from this thread posted another thread I remember, reporting he fixed it with adding a libtorrent PPA and upgrading.
nop666
New User
New User

Post by nop666 »

Sounds like OP's fix was the same as mine - upgrading to a newer version of LibTorrent.
alireza
New User
New User

Post by alireza »

Can you please teach me how to upgrade libtorrent?
Thanks,
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

For deluge2 on ubuntu, something along the lines off:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libtorrent.org/rc-1.2-daily
sudo apt update
sudo apt install python3-libtorrent 
alireza
New User
New User

Post by alireza »

Thanks for your reply, but the 1st line gave me error 404!

ERROR: ppa 'libtorrent.org/rc-1.2-daily' not found
And the last line gave me this:

sudo apt install python3-libtorrent
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
python3-libtorrent is already the newest version (1.2.9-0.2fakesync1build1).
python3-libtorrent set to manually installed.
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  libllvm11
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 17 not upgraded.
What should I do now?