2.1.1 Native .app

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
ScottC

2.1.1 Native .app

Post by ScottC »

Are we ever going to get a working MacOS .app?

I have been using @Lord-Kamina's version and it works but is outdated.

If there are no plans to ever get an Official MacOS .app please just let us know so we can evaluate if it is time to look for something else.
mhertz

Re: 2.1.1 Native .app

Post by mhertz »

Valid question and I apologize don't have the answer myself, sorry.

From what I know then last strides on this was doadin doing some nice job with adding packaging through pyinstaller for mac, which despite he not being a mac guy I believe, got a working freezed build, with very minor issues(deluge-gtk instead of deluge etc), but the app produced would still fail.

I don't know if doadin is up for working more on this, seeing he already did awesome job with it, from scratch, like with the windows pyinstaller stuff, but maybe could ping Lord-Kamina and see if he was interested in looking into such maybe, from doadin's work. Well that, or update his own awesome job in his variation of the procedure, from his older PR here, but dunno just thinking out loud.

I've never used a mac in my life, and so it would be to big of task for myself to look into honestly, but just thinking out loud.

Sorry no actual help to offer.

https://github.com/deluge-torrent/deluge/pull/335
Hector
New User
New User

Post by Hector »

It tooks me some time and work but I finally moved to QBitTorrent which is fully supported on macOS and which also provides a very good web based interface with many custom themes. I run it from a docker only NAS and access it remotely from my Mac and I even can use it on my iPhone/iPad thanks to its web interface that can be installed as a PWA app on iOS (try VueTorrent theme, amazing) !

I already miss some very good Deluge plugins and the Deluge approach, but at the end, I have something I can use with no hassle and that work as expected.

I would like to really thank you a lot for everything provided until then, long live to Deluge for Linux users.

I shared this information here juste because I know that lot of Mac users are looking for a working solution on their platform.
fuga

Post by fuga »

^^
This.
Sadly. Competition is lifeblood.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Hector wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:03 am It tooks me some time and work but I finally moved to QBitTorrent which is fully supported on macOS and which also provides a very good web based interface with many custom themes. I run it from a docker only NAS and access it remotely from my Mac and I even can use it on my iPhone/iPad thanks to its web interface that can be installed as a PWA app on iOS (try VueTorrent theme, amazing) !

I already miss some very good Deluge plugins and the Deluge approach, but at the end, I have something I can use with no hassle and that work as expected.

I would like to really thank you a lot for everything provided until then, long live to Deluge for Linux users.

I shared this information here juste because I know that lot of Mac users are looking for a working solution on their platform.
It's unfortunate to see you go Hector, but I understand the frustration.

I've used qBT myself for a good bit, and until recently when I migrated everything to my unraid setup had both deluge for perma-seeding and qBT for the initial downloads due to some issues I was having, but those were solved post-migration.

I will say, that while I agree that most of the WebUI in qBT is good (as long as you don't seed 1000+ torrents or search a lot) and some other points you made i agree with, thinclient is something I don't think any WebUI can compete with...I hope to see you return to us at some point when MacOS is back in the fold fully.

Just a note, the .torrent files in your qBT config folder are not the same as deluge's, and do not contain tracker information. So if you want to have a copy of your seeding torrents .torrent files, set qBT up to save copies of them because backing up your config/data folders .torrent files in qBT will not provide you with the ability to just load them at a later date back into another client, or the same client even, without their equivalent of state files.

I think you can export them in qBT too, but don't quote me. Easier just to save them as you add them either way IMO.

Best of luck.
rocket
New User
New User

Post by rocket »

Does anyone have any link to a working Deluge v2... dmg file?
Paralel

Post by Paralel »

Given the current lack of a Mac native dev, seems as though, for the moment, an announcement of a formal pause on Mac build development should be made so people don't think it is active.