Install Deluge 2.1.* on MacOS with LabelPlus plugin and working URL downloads

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
phunkyfish
New User
New User

Install Deluge 2.1.* on MacOS with LabelPlus plugin and working URL downloads

Post by phunkyfish »

All,

I thought I would share this as I got it up and running. Here are the commands I had to run right up to starting the UI.

Upgrade pip

Note that to install packages via pip you may require to pass --break-system-packages

Code: Select all

python3 -m pip install --upgrade pip
Install dependencies (Note I don't know if all this is needed, but it was the combo that worked ok)

brew install pygobject3 gtk+3 adwaita-icon-theme
brew install libtorrent-rasterbar
pip3 install gobject pygobject
pip3 install libtorrent
Install deluge

pip3 install deluge
Starting Deluge (path can be different depending on your install version of python 3):

$HOME/Library/Python/3.9/bin/deluge
The only outstanding issue I had was when trying to open a secure URL when adding a file (downloading a file and opening that directly still works). I had the follow error:

[<twisted.python.failure.Failure OpenSSL.SSL.Error: [('STORE routines', '', 'unregistered scheme'), ('system library', '', ''), ('STORE routines', '', 'unregistered scheme'), ('system library', '', ''), ('STORE routines', '', 'unregistered scheme'), ('system library', '', ''), ('STORE routines', '', 'unregistered scheme'), ('system library', '', ''), ('SSL routines', '', 'certificate verify failed')]>]
On MacOS the easiest way to work around this is to set SSL_CERT_FILE to the built in path when running deluge:

SSL_CERT_FILE="/etc/ssl/cert.pem" $HOME/Library/Python/3.9/bin/deluge
Alternatively you can use a solution that would also work on Linux/Windows by install the certifi package.

Install certifi:

pip3 install certifi
Now start deluge setting SSL_CERT_FILE as part of this (path can be different depending on your install version of python 3):

SSL_CERT_FILE="$(python3 -m certifi)" $HOME/Library/Python/3.9/bin/deluge
It should be possible to set the environment variable in .zshrc but for some reason this did not work and setting it with startup of deluge was required.

Install Labelplus plugin

Labelplus can be found here: I hope it helps someone. It took a little while to figure all this out. BTW, deluge 2 is far more reliable and speedy than the previous version. Thanks to everyone who worked on getting this done.

Regards,

phunkyfish
Last edited by phunkyfish on Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.