Running 2 Deluge Thin Clients (1.3 and 2.0) on MacOS

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
mannibis
New User
New User

Running 2 Deluge Thin Clients (1.3 and 2.0) on MacOS

Post by mannibis »

I've been using Deluge 1.3 for years now on my Ubuntu server and access it via the thin client on macOS with no issues. I have recently however, installed Deluge 2.0 on a newer Ubuntu 20.04 server and would like to use the 2.0 thin client on macOS to access that instance. Since there is no .app for Deluge 2.0 on macOS I got it working using HomeBrew. It works fine but now the 2 thin clients seem to conflict with each other. It would seem they are using the same config on macOS and using one of them deletes the remote connection info on the other.

Is there any way I can run both instances without this conflict? It's a major bummer that there is no official 2.0 app package available but I assumed since they are 2 different versions I would be able to run both at the same time regardless of how it's installed. Any insight? I wouldn't even care if I had to run them separately (not simultaneously). It's the conflict with the remote connection settings that is bugging me.
mhertz

Re: Running 2 Deluge Thin Clients (1.3 and 2.0) on MacOS

Post by mhertz »

You can fix "overwrite-config" issue through starting each instance of gtkui with seperate profile-dirs, through '-c' arg, so need make a shortcut, shell-script or start from terminal etc. Could also hack the source directly, 'config_dir=' in deluge/config.py line 119, 121 and 135 for deluge-dev, 2.0.5 and 1.3.15 respectively.

Wether you can run two gtkui's simultaneously, in different versions, with seperate config-dir's defined, I don't know sorry, as only know daemons atleast support multiple instances.
jacko

Re: Running 2 Deluge Thin Clients (1.3 and 2.0) on MacOS

Post by jacko »

I confirm that running the deluge-gtk -c ~/.config/deluge2/ command on Ubuntu shell has opened a new deluge-gtk UI.
Probably the configuration location can be anywhere, but since I want this instance to be associated with this second daemon, I chose this location.

Thanks for the original answer mhertz!