ETA on 2.0.3 .app

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
Pippo
New User
New User

Re: ETA on 2.0.3 .app

Post by Pippo »

So reading this thread made me give Deluge v2.0.3 on Mac another try (mainly because I wanted to be able to rename torrents before they download). I tried all the methods before, including Homebrew (which I'd rather avoid to be honest), but all of them failed. But this time I finally got deluge-gtk to run as a Thin Client on macOS 10.13.6, but I had to jump through a lot of hoops (see below).

Though I encountered a few bugs (Torrent Owners were not shown initially, Cmd-Q does not work, Menu -> Quit does), it really feels super fast compared to the old v1.3.15 (which was never great), so you guys did an amazing job, thank you!

Hopefully this will help anyone who might have given up before (like I did).

I am probably not going to be of much help here, but if there is anything I can do to help get a working Deluge v2 macOS app bundle out of the ground, let me know.

# Steps to install as per documentation (√):

1. Install homebrew (√)

2. Install dependencies (√)
2a. brew install pygobject3 gtk+3 adwaita-icon-theme (√)
2b. brew install libtorrent-rasterbar (√)

3. Link gettext (√)
3a. sudo chown -R user:admin /usr/local/share # was needed to finish step three without errors
3b. brew link gettext --force (√)

4. pip3 install deluge (√)

So far things went rather well. But at this point neither deluge-gtk nor deluge-console would run, so I ended up fixing a bunch of things that caused error messages (I hope I am not missing anything because it was a trial and error approach mostly; 'brew doctor' helped a bit, but I was mostly throwing error messages at my favourite search engine and tried to make sense of what I found):

5. Hoops I had to jump through
5a. brew link gtk+3
5b. brew install gdk-pixbuf
5c. brew link Atk
5d. brew install shared-mime-info
5e. brew reinstall gdk-pixbuf
5f. brew link gsettings-desktop-schemas
5g. glib-compile-schemas /usr/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas/

6. Finally, launch a working Deluge v2.0.3 via
6a. deluge-gtk &

At this point, only minor errors were thrown into Terminal (likely caused by wrong server address or wrong passwords).
Awww yiiiis.

I also got to see a lot of beachballs after the App finally started (possibly because I blocked a bunch of outgoing connections to trackers and stuff except to the deluged server sitting in my LAN).
Lord-Kamina

Post by Lord-Kamina »

I have now submitted a PR with several macOS fixes (including shortcuts not being properly mapped) and a new script that should easily make a .app bundle out of a macports install (because Homebrew is the plague, seriously)

For now, you can give my .app a spin here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zy0y4u41bvp6h ... p.zip?dl=1
ScottC

Post by ScottC »

Lord-Kamina wrote:I have now submitted a PR with several macOS fixes (including shortcuts not being properly mapped) and a new script that should easily make a .app bundle out of a macports install (because Homebrew is the plague, seriously)

For now, you can give my .app a spin here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zy0y4u41bvp6h ... p.zip?dl=1
Just tried the .app from Lord-Kamina and it works GREAT. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I agree Homebrew is just evil.
Lord-Kamina

Post by Lord-Kamina »

ScottC wrote:
Lord-Kamina wrote:I have now submitted a PR with several macOS fixes (including shortcuts not being properly mapped) and a new script that should easily make a .app bundle out of a macports install (because Homebrew is the plague, seriously)

Just tried the .app from Lord-Kamina and it works GREAT. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I agree Homebrew is just evil.
Great to know! Ideally, I'd like to make it so the app itself can install a LaunchAgent if the user chooses to but I'm not quite sure how to do it yet.
ScottC

Post by ScottC »

Lord-Kamina wrote:
ScottC wrote:

Great to know! Ideally, I'd like to make it so the app itself can install a LaunchAgent if the user chooses to but I'm not quite sure how to do it yet.
Personally I just use it as a thin client to connect to my seedboxes, so I would not need the LaunchAgent. But for people that do not use it as a thin client I could see this being kinda nice to have :)

But I really want to thank you for getting an .app that actually works since all my seedboxes were updated to the latest deluge and I hated having to use the web based client and having an .app makes my life so much easier :)
Hector
New User
New User

Post by Hector »

Hey thanks a lot !

Very good application. Tried it and worked perfectly in Thin Client mode.
Testing more deeply now.
Thanks !
Hector
New User
New User

Post by Hector »

Hi @Lord-Kamina,

I'm wondering why each time I start Deluge I have a "Queued Torrents" window with only one torrent "Deluge-bin" in the list.
I tried to Clear/Remove... but it reappear at each restart of the application. Any clue what is this ?
Lord-Kamina

Post by Lord-Kamina »

@Hector, not really sure about that; and I haven't seen that behavior at least. Doesn't the log give any relevant information?
Duamerthrax

Post by Duamerthrax »

Hector wrote:Hi @Lord-Kamina,

I'm wondering why each time I start Deluge I have a "Queued Torrents" window with only one torrent "Deluge-bin" in the list.
I tried to Clear/Remove... but it reappear at each restart of the application. Any clue what is this ?
I had the same thing, but I can't replicate it at the moment as I fubared the server side trying the systemd thing.
Shadallark

Post by Shadallark »

Thank you very much for putting together a mac .app that we can test out. The app loads nice and fast on my MacBook Pro but running it in Thin Client mode I cannot get it to connect to my testing seedbox (Raspberry Pi running deluge v2.0.4.dev23; lib torrent 1.1.11.0). I can connect to that seedbox using the Web Client (point it at http://192.168.2.23:8112). When I try to connect using your Mac app and I setup the connection as:
  • Hostname: 192.168.2.23
  • Port: 58846
  • With the user id and password setup in the authorization file on the Raspberry Pi
It shows the circle with a line in it and the Connect button remains greyed out.

Any suggestions on how I can get it to connect to the testing seedbox? I am waiting to upgrade our production seedbox until I can get a Mac .app that will work with version 2.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Shadallark
Running Deluged v2.0.x on a Raspberry Pi 3b running Raspian (Debian Buster) with a Mac OSX Thin Client.