Remove Mac as supported paltform

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
gazpachoking

Re: Remove Mac as supported paltform

Post by gazpachoking »

I would just like to point out that removing MacOS from the list would probably make it less likely that the user who finally makes an easy to install package for Mac will find the project. ;)
macdelugeplease

Post by macdelugeplease »

If it hasn't come by now, I'm not hopeful it will ever come. The devs are no help. I've talked with them and they have no interest. This is like waiting for Duke Nukem Forever, except it's actually going to be released.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

FYI someone helpfully updated Snow Leopard guide:

http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Installing/MacOSX
macdelugeplease wrote:If it hasn't come by now, I'm not hopeful it will ever come. The devs are no help. I've talked with them and they have no interest. This is like waiting for Duke Nukem Forever, except it's actually going to be released.
The core developers barely have the time for Deluge let alone keep on top of packaging for all the different operating systems. So this doesn’t just apply to OSX it also applies to the likes of Ubuntu that is packaged by someone else hence the delay between source release of Deluge and PPA package availability.

The other issue i would point out is that unless you own apple hardware it is not exactly easy to test OSX, like say BSD, Linux or Windows. However I would add that I recently found a guide on installing OSX in virtualbox and if successful i can post details here.
zachtib wrote:Just an update: as macdelugeplease said, I'm pretty swamped with school lately, so I haven't had any time to work on this. If someone else wants to work on it, I can give you some pointers and hopefully get you started in the right direction. Just send me an email if you're able to help.
As you can see one of the former deluge developers will help in bringing a native app to OSX.
comedian

Post by comedian »

Well spoken Cas.

I was actually the one who updated that guide, and, ironically enough, my "test bed" was Snow Leopard running in VirtualBox on Windows 7.

I tried to make the same point you did, just not as friendly.

The problem with the internet is, apparently, that it's far easier to complain about things not working than it is to contribute to making them better...
macdelugeplease

Post by macdelugeplease »

Unfortunately, Cas, zachtib started that work a year go and there hasn't been much progress for quite some time.

Comedian, we're not complaining about there not being native support for Mac for Deluge, period. We're complaining that OS X is a "supported platform" except there is not a native installer, nor a native interface, nor an easy upgrade option like there are on EVERY other Mac application. In fact, there is nothing supported about it. Windows is "supported." Perhaps you could say, "experimental support" for Mac, since some people can install it, sometimes, on some computers, if you want to waste a full day doing it. (Yes, I have compiled it myself and it was a bear to do it and only was done with lots of help on IRC.) Typically, for any Mac application, when a product is "supported" most of the threads on the forum aren't about just getting the application running. So, yes, comedian, it is easier to complain about it on here rather than LEARN HOW TO CODE and fix it ourselves. Apparently, it must be pretty tough if a CS major doesn't have time to do it, and he presumably knows how to code at the present.

Deluge is a great torrent client. I wish it worked on OS X reliably and I would probably use it if I didn't have a job and could crawl Google and beg for help here to figure out which command line string I'm missing to get it to work.
Sammi
New User
New User

Post by Sammi »

@comedian
Your user unfriendliness astounds me.

Good software should solve problems, not create problems. Deluge on OSX is not worth the time and effort. I don't think you're doing the Deluge project any favor by putting the bar of entry for the end-user so high.

@Cas
Why not remove OSX from the about page until you have a proper build for it? That way you will not disappoint mac users anymore, as we will know not to expect mac support in Deluge for now. It is all about managing expectations.

EDIT: Sorry if this post seems brash. I promise it's intended in a constructive spirit. I'm just frustrated, that's all.
screenager

Post by screenager »

hi, there, this is my first post here too,

i've tried installing deluge for about 3days and once i tried the right guide (http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Installing/MacOSX)
it went quite easily, the only downside being :
it took me 2days to install everything and about 3gigs of disk space and following the guide, i installed 1.3.0 when it's now 1.3.1.

now my goal in installing deluge was to finally not be forced to use the epic webapp wich freeses all the time and make adding a torrent such a pain.
so that goal is totally achieved, it works seemlessly although the userinterface looks like win3.1 but i can live with that.

and of course, yesterday night, my webui got updated to 3.1 wich seems to diminish greatly the freezing problem.

so basically i "wasted/made a really good use " of the last two days to "achieve something cool/get rid of free space on my comp/make it work"

anyway, the point, i think that "supported" is a big word for what we get (eg : compared to openoffice, where you had the messy x11 interface and so on, it's still a word apart)
fancyclown

Post by fancyclown »

I followed the old guide to install version 1.2.3 some months ago and got it to work a-ok.
When 1.3.0 came out I had nothing but trouble with both the old and the new updated guide,
I simply couldn't get it to work. :cry:

I then tried Macports (which I also used for older versions of deluge years ago) and I'm now running 1.3.1
with no trouble at all. :idea:

So try Macports if you can't get it to work with the guide on the wiki/forum!

sudo port install deluge... takes a shitload of time if you have none of the dependencies beforehand but it works! :D
fancyclown

Post by fancyclown »

screenager wrote: my goal in installing deluge was to finally not be forced to use the epic webapp wich freeses all the time and make adding a torrent such a pain.
so that goal is totally achieved, it works seemlessly although the userinterface looks like win3.1 but i can live with that.
Have you tried the AutoAdd plugin? With watched folders adding torrents is a breeze even with the Web UI. :idea:
comedian

Post by comedian »

fancyclown wrote:I followed the old guide to install version 1.2.3 some months ago and got it to work a-ok.
When 1.3.0 came out I had nothing but trouble with both the old and the new updated guide,
I simply couldn't get it to work. :cry:

I then tried Macports (which I also used for older versions of deluge years ago) and I'm now running 1.3.1
with no trouble at all. :idea:

So try Macports if you can't get it to work with the guide on the wiki/forum!

sudo port install deluge... takes a shitload of time if you have none of the dependencies beforehand but it works! :D
It's great to hear deluge is working again in MacPorts! It was broken for quite a long while (after Snow Leopard came out), so the install methods I posted here were a work-around for that problem.