Deluge.app - Native OS X Deluge Client

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
fancyclown

Re: Deluge.app - Native OS X Deluge Client

Post by fancyclown »

yeah it would be great to get some updates on the native Deluge client. utorrent beta does'nt have ssl and transmission is imo crap. So I do my torrenting in windows for now. :( I also believe many people would like to have the deluge client on the OSX side now that it is supported by the private trackers. :idea:
asi

Post by asi »

I have just been recommended Deluge, but I can't figure out the installation. But I am very eager to try the app when it's released.

asi
macdelugeplease

Post by macdelugeplease »

For those of you expressing support, I would recommend going on the Deluge IRC channel and expressing your support and willingness to help. It is irc.freenode.net #deluge. They're pretty helpful, jrabbit in particular. A large part of the problem from my talks with them is that they don't have a Mac to develop this on. Apparently zachtib is busy with school and can't complete the project. If anyone with some coding experience wants to tackle this, they could use the help.
zachtib
Leecher
Leecher

Post by zachtib »

Just an update: as macdelugeplease said, I'm pretty swamped with school lately, so I haven't had any time to work on this. If someone else wants to work on it, I can give you some pointers and hopefully get you started in the right direction. Just send me an email if you're able to help.

Zach
Former Deluge Developer
waeking

Post by waeking »

What are the packages that need to be installed before deluge? I am so wanting to make this work natively on the mac. Been keeping up with the updates and Hardy for a few years now, and loviin' it!
iMacKat

Post by iMacKat »

waeking wrote:What are the packages that need to be installed before deluge? I am so wanting to make this work natively on the mac. Been keeping up with the updates and Hardy for a few years now, and loviin' it!
I don't have a clue about coding and such, but I think I did try an attempt with py2app once (although, I had no idea of what I was doing... :lol: )

Anyway, what I remember from that is that py2app did not support the dependencies from libtorrent....or more like, two apps in one...if I remember correct now, that is...
(I don't remember exactly...I've been doing so many things lately, with Linux and Mac, so I get all dizzy in my old head, hehe).

From the source installation page it says:
Along with the following packages, you will also need to install the appropriate build tools provided by your OS.
Core

python >= 2.5
twisted >= 8.1
twisted-web >= 8.1
pyopenssl
simplejson (if python < 2.6)
setuptools
gettext
pyxdg
geoip-database (optional)
libtorrent >= 0.14, or build the included version
If building included libtorrent::
boost >= 1.34.1
openssl
zlib

UIs

chardet

Gtk

python-notify (libnotify python wrapper)
pygame
pygtk >= 2.12
librsvg
xdg-utils

Web

mako
so I suppose these are the packages needed if trying a Mac OS X attempt. ;)

I don't know (my memory again) but I think I read somewhere that you might be able to include more dependencies now with py2app (when I tried, I didn't really have a clue so I did not understand where to put all these thingies...and I still don't really :oops: I just have a "feeling" of how it might have to look like, but as I said, I have never, ever done any coding or programming, so I really don't know how things work

edit: Well, ha ha, actually I have...in the early 80's, but I don't remember any of that now :lol: ).

I haven't given up hope though, that someone who knows will drop by one day and surprise us all. :mrgreen:
macdelugeplease

Post by macdelugeplease »

I haven't given up hope either. I would nearly kill for a native Cocoa version of Deluge. Please bring it guys!
dackee

Post by dackee »

Yes please, this would be very much appreciated.
frakk4d
New User
New User

Post by frakk4d »

Yeah, I managed to successfully build it using the tutorial, then created another virtualenv for py2app-deluge. Tried following the remaining (post mkvirtualenv) steps in the tutorial after getting that virtualenv set up with py2app, then renaming the default setup.py to Deluge.py, and doing py2applet Deluge.py.

Running the resultant setup.py does indeed give me a Deluge.app (though it does create it really really fast - it's obviously not properly building/compiling even though it doesn't spew out any errors), but crashes on launch. Something to do with python locations & info.plist. Tried playing around with that to point them at the same ones I used to build Deluge with during the tutorial but still can't get it working. Totally in over my head here tbh, no idea how to set up py2app/include dependancies/where to put anything. Can't really find many resources online dealing with it either.

I'm gonna continue tinkering away with it to see if I can make any headway, but my limited programming skillz (a bit of VB2K in school, a bit of FORTRAN at uni) aren't really very helpful when trying to build complex programs like this.

Anyone with any python/osx coding/py2app skillz fancy giving me some pointers?
waeking

Post by waeking »

you have gotten further than me. I am not a programmer of any sort..... Could be your dependancies....

python setup.py py2app --includes {Modules Needed}

Another help might be to install the ez_setup tools. My understanding is that they will help to find and install any depandancies needed.

python ez_setup.py

Then include in your setup.py

Code: Select all

import ez_setup
ez_setup.use_setuptools()

from setuptools import setup
setup(
    app=["MyApplication.py"],
    setup_requires=["py2app"],
)

I am including a link to group where they talk about using twisted. And near the end they talk about sys.path and including dependancies. Including the use of zip packages.

http://www.mail-archive.com/pyglet-user ... 01101.html

Let me know.... I will try to help out more.