Deluge 2.0.3 on macOS 11.6 w/ Intel

Support for Deluge on Apple Mac OS
earth-sol
New User
New User

Deluge 2.0.3 on macOS 11.6 w/ Intel

Post by earth-sol »

Hello,

I've tried following the steps here to install Deluge 2.0.3 via Homebrew and after multiple re-tries, I'm still running into the below issues, would appreciate any insight!

For background I'm running macOS 11.6 on Intel

When I first run deluge via command line, the below error pops up and then it runs deluge in ThinClient mode.

Code: Select all

Unable to initialize gettext/locale!
'ngettext'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/deluge/i18n/util.py", line 118, in setup_translation
    builtins.__dict__['_n'] = builtins.__dict__['ngettext']
KeyError: 'ngettext'
If I try to start the daemon from the UI, I get the below error.

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/deluge/_libtorrent.py", line 23, in <module>
    import deluge.libtorrent as lt
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'deluge.libtorrent'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/bin/deluged", line 8, in <module>
    sys.exit(start_daemon())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/deluge/core/daemon_entry.py", line 90, in start_daemon
    from deluge.core.daemon import is_daemon_running
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/deluge/core/daemon.py", line 22, in <module>
    from deluge.core.core import Core
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/deluge/core/core.py", line 28, in <module>
    from deluge._libtorrent import LT_VERSION, lt
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/deluge/_libtorrent.py", line 25, in <module>
    import libtorrent as lt
ImportError: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/libtorrent.cpython-39-darwin.so, 2): Symbol not found: __Z14bind_info_hashv
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/libtorrent.cpython-39-darwin.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/libtorrent.cpython-39-darwin.so
Steps I took to install:
  1. Code: Select all

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
  2. Code: Select all

brew install pygobject3 gtk+3 adwaita-icon-theme
  3. Code: Select all

brew install libtorrent-rasterbar
  4. Code: Select all

brew link gettext --force
    This just tells me that everything is already linked, I tried unlinking and re-linking everything and still didn't help.
  5. Code: Select all

pip3 install deluge
    This initially threw an error saying my pip wasn't up to date.
    I ran

usr/local/opt/python@3.9/bin/python3.9 -m pip install --upgrade pip
    and then re-ran

pip3 install deluge
Also ran through viewtopic.php?f=13&t=55912 and uninstalled everything and re-installed including the dependencies, still no luck :(
bolshoi

Re: Deluge 2.0.3 on macOS 11.6 w/ Intel

Post by bolshoi »

The gettext error can be ignored, i get it all the time, no impact.

The other error is complaining about missing libtorrent looks like, try install with brew:

brew install libtorrent-rasterbar
earth-sol
New User
New User

Post by earth-sol »

libtorrent is installed (part of step 3 that I did), but the error specifically says

Symbol not found: __Z14bind_info_hashv
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/libtorrent.cpython-39-darwin.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
Looks like __Z14bind_info_hashv is referenced somewhere in the libtorrent install and can't be found in the flat namespace?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

When you first posted, I googled the libtorrent import error and didn't find same symbol reference, but others, including afterwards the 'flat namedpace' message, and was because mixing clang with gcc components, or libc++ VS libstdc++, but imho was to vague for me to post at the time. Still no solution sadly, but regoogling it now, then a little old thread at stackoverflow was posted to a question regarding why one was getting "missing symbol xxx" and "flat namespaces" errors, so cannot use directly, but maybe indirectly: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/297 ... -namespace

Also, bolshoi had issue with another symbol, though atomic related and on raspbian, but nonetheless, and posted helpful instructions on how he fixed it by downgrading libtorrent with homebrew, here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56009

Sorry have no direct fix to offer.
amar1729
New User
New User

Post by amar1729 »

You may have to install zlib and libxcb as well