Deluge Won't Start

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Staind
New User
New User

Deluge Won't Start

Post by Staind »

Hi,

Sometimes my deluge won't start, I just have a blank icon in the taskbar where it should be (I'm running WinXP). This problem never really use to happen before until I downloaded the most recent version from your website (I think 3).

I have done the following:

<Unable to start. Remove the preference folder (usually c:\documents and settings\yourusername\deluge) and start again. You will have to add them again so save them (they are in c:\documents and settings\yourusername\deluge\torrentfiles)>

and I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling. Sometimes the problem just goes away by itself, no idea why - then might return the next time I try to start deluge.
loki

Re: Deluge Won't Start

Post by loki »

It might be due to the dbus-daemon-deluge.exe still running after shutting down Deluge, try ending that process and starting Deluge again.
Suomynona.Eno

Post by Suomynona.Eno »

I'm not sure if this applies to Vista users but I clearly figured that that dbus engine would only start its erratic behaviors IF there's a running anti spyware app/services (stuff like Ad-Aware, Spyware Terminator etc.) in the bg. For the record, those apps can't seem to play well with A LOT of other app types as well such as games and even graphics' editors like GIMP, I'm sure that a lot of us can relate to that when it comes to Win environs. Try a FULL reinstall and keep a NET STOP .bat file handy on desktop to on/off redundant services when you need to run Deluge. Works fine that way for me here.
Staind
New User
New User

Post by Staind »

Suomynona.Eno ,

Thank you for your response. I tried what you said (disabled firewall, antivirus, and all services related to antispyware) then reinstalled / deleted deluge folder in my documents and it still does not work. Any thoughts on the issue greatly appreciated.

Loki,

Thank you as well. I shutdown both the processes before restarting up.
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

Staind wrote:Suomynona.Eno ,

Thank you for your response. I tried what you said (disabled firewall, antivirus, and all services related to antispyware) then reinstalled / deleted deluge folder in my documents and it still does not work. Any thoughts on the issue greatly appreciated.

Loki,

Thank you as well. I shutdown both the processes before restarting up.
tried this? http://deluge-torrent.org/faq.php#6n30
Staind
New User
New User

Post by Staind »

markybob,

I believe this is also accomplished by deleting the folder entirely. Which I have done.

Thank you for your response.
Staind
New User
New User

Post by Staind »

Sorry for the double post.

I was wondering if its possible to download an older version of Deluge, since the older version never had any problems. I use to use the one from (http://www.slurdge.org/deluge-on-windows) I think it was the version prior to 0.5.7.1.2 (I hope that's right). If there's any place to download it, I could compare and see if its the new Deluge version that's having a problem or if its some software that I have installed on my computer between the time period of the old version and the updated version.

Thanks for your help.
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

Staind wrote:Sorry for the double post.

I was wondering if its possible to download an older version of Deluge, since the older version never had any problems. I use to use the one from (http://www.slurdge.org/deluge-on-windows) I think it was the version prior to 0.5.7.1.2 (I hope that's right). If there's any place to download it, I could compare and see if its the new Deluge version that's having a problem or if its some software that I have installed on my computer between the time period of the old version and the updated version.

Thanks for your help.
you should install 0.5.7.1-3, as it's solved most people's problems. anyway, the available downloads are at http://download.deluge-torrent.org/
Staind
New User
New User

Post by Staind »

Hm, an older version didn't seem to work either. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is so I will wait until the next release and then update you on whether or not it works then. Thanks.

Update: I restarted my computer and now it seems to be working (no idea why). Thanks for your help.