Phantom bandwidth use?

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
niknik

Phantom bandwidth use?

Post by niknik »

Is there any reason why, using the latest Deluge (5.6.2 - though I suspect it was also happening in previous versions) would use network bandwidth without showing any activity?

Even if I pause all torrents, and it shows no activity on the status bar - it's using 20Kb/s upload!

This is definitely Deluge, as when I shut it down it stops using bandwidth.
(Changing the upload limit doesn't affect it either)

The port is open as it should.

What can cause it to use nearly my max upload bandwith - when it should be sitting idle? :?:

Edit: Found some more info.

Even if I shut Deluge down, I still have incoming data arriving on that port (about 10Kb/s) that are not being "answered".
So, I tried blocking the incoming port on the router, and Deluge stopped uploading anything.

What kind of traffic is received by Deluge that would cause it to "transmit" as well? Seem like it's listening and broadcasting something, even when it's not showing any activity on the up/down meters.

Edit2: Disabling DHT and Peer exchange stopped it from uploading that much - although it's still at nearly 5Kb/s.
Are these supposed to eat that much bandwidth? Any way to limit it?

Also, shouldn't it send a signal to the other peers when shutting down, so they would stop querying my IP?
I would prefer not having 20Kb/s incoming data bogging down my connection when playing online.
slurdge
New User
New User

Re: Phantom bandwidth use?

Post by slurdge »

There is additional bandwith taken by the protocol.
Basically, finding other peers, etc...
What's strange is that all your torrents are paused. I think if there is a bug, this is that deluge is telling you that torrent are paused when in fact they are not.
It is normal that when you quit deluge you still have some incoming connections, they will stop later.
niknik

Re: Phantom bandwidth use?

Post by niknik »

I'm just worried that it was using so much bandwith (uploading at nearly 20Kb) and slowing down remote access, etc.

If that was just 1-5Kb/s, that would be acceptable.

Also, like you say, there may be a bug in the "pause" indication, meaning that it would still be uploading something but not showing it...