how to fix "port issue"

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mickalls
New User
New User

how to fix "port issue"

Post by mickalls »

Hello,

I'm using 2.1.1 on windows and I have the "port issue" on the bottom right. How can I fix it? Should I just input a random port number? I should say that I'm on a campus lan connection, so I don't have access to the router and such.

Thanks!
ambipro

Re: how to fix "port issue"

Post by ambipro »

In your situation, it is likely that you won't be able to have a port forwarded to your computer, and thus deluge gain access to incoming connections from the internet, which is what is causing the port issue warning.

Your other option would be to get a VPN with port forwarding options included, however, these often involve a lot of configuration from what I've read. I've never done this myself so I can't advise you there.

Assigning random (or any) specific or random port value in deluge will make no difference to the situation you are facing.

Note: With the port issue you will still be able to download mostly at normal speeds, however, you will find that seeding will be significantly impeded if not impossible.
trebleclef932
New User
New User

Post by trebleclef932 »

I'm also experiencing this issue, except I'm on a private network and using a VPN (I have permanent kill switch activated on my laptop, no split tunneling or anything). I'm running windows 11 home. I've tried switching from a five digit port to one of the standard 688X torrent ports. I'm using Deluge version 2.1.1 and libtorrent 1.2.15.0. I realized it yesterday, but suspect it's been alerting me to it for a week or so. I do sometimes get up speed numbers, which I presume means someone is actively using it from me, but I have no idea.

I have almost no understanding of how anything works, I just want to seed where I can.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

trebleclef932 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:18 am I have almost no understanding of how anything works, I just want to seed where I can.
I'd suggest you consult your VPN's forums or FAQ and see if it's possible to do port forwarding with them, otherwise, you are not going to be able to achieve any real seeding or "Active port open" status...this is just one of the consequences of using a VPN when torrenting, it requires the VPN provider that supports it.

We are not your VPN provider and can not provide support for every individual VPN provider's port forwarding methods/procedures, you will have to do some research and find out if they can, and how to deploy this if possible to your connection. I'm sure you are not the first to ask about it if they support it, so search their forums or put in a ticket with them. You'll get started in the right direction.

Oh, and it's customary to make your own threads for separate issues, just because he was having port issues doesn't make this a catch-all for port issues. This is called thread hi-jacking and is generally frowned upon. Next time if you're having an issue with the actual software (in this case, not the VPN or anything provider-related) make a separate thread with a relevant and specific title, and a detailed description of your issue and setup.
jorgosgerco
New User
New User

Post by jorgosgerco »

I don't even know what is this Port thing, all I know is that it says Port Issue with every single port I try and I don't know what to do. Download speed 10 k/s ( the limit is set to unlimited ). Everything was fine till this morning!!!
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

You have to forward the port in your router, and enable the port or program in your firewall settings in windows. This is mentioned numerous times all over the forum, use the search feature or simply google for your specific router brand/model and "Port Forwarding"

Alternatively, if you cannot access this (university internet, business lines, etc) you will have to follow the first post reply I made in this thread regarding a VPN with port forwarding.

You likely just need to enable the application in your firewall, and forward the ports in your router you have set in Deluge as Incoming. Picking random ports will make no difference, none of the will be forwarded unless you do so.