2.1.1 x64 fails to launch with fresh install

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
tcg87
New User
New User

2.1.1 x64 fails to launch with fresh install

Post by tcg87 »

Never used deluge before today. Tried using the current windows installer, deluge-2.1.1-win64-setup.exe, and everything appeared to install just fine, but when I went to run it, I got an error window with an unhandled python exception.

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "deluge-script.pyw", line 33, in <module>
  File "deluge\ui\ui_entry.py", line 140, in start_ui
  File "deluge\ui\gtk3\__init__.py", line 45, in start
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1007, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 986, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 680, in _load_unlocked
  File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 495, in exec_module
  File "deluge\ui\gtk3\gtkui.py", line 16, in <module>
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1007, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 986, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 680, in _load_unlocked
  File "PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 495, in exec_module
  File "gi\__init__.py", line 45, in <module>
  File "os.py", line 1111, in add_dll_directory
OSError: [WinError 87] The parameter is incorrect: 'C:'
Any ideas as what I can do to correct this? Is it because I already had python installed and my installing is missing something required to run this? I figured it would be using it's own build that came with the installer. Am I wrong about this?

I've reinstalled multiple times. I also tried the lt2.0 build and even tried the 2.1.0 builds. Got the same errors each time.
mhertz

Re: 2.1.1 x64 fails to launch with fresh install

Post by mhertz »

You're not wrong, correct. Your issue here, is a little complicated to explain, but in short you have a file called girepository-1.0.1.dll in C:. This makes an issue for you, and if possible, rename/delete it if not fully needed, or remove your 'C:' entry from your %PATH% alternatively. Now when thinking about it, then can probably workaround by just changing 'C:' to 'C:\' in your %PATH%, but not fully sure honestly.

This code isn't usefull to have in an installer imho, let alone freezed one, and I used to patch this part out of gi package's __init__.py in my unofficial installer - if it is a problem working around this, then I can build you an installer without this issue, one of these days, but as said, various workaroundings in beginning of post. I believe this patching is removed from gvsbuild(and fixed in gi package) so newer builds should not have this neither.
tcg87
New User
New User

Post by tcg87 »

mhertz wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:45 pm You're not wrong, correct. Your issue here, is a little complicated to explain, but in short you have a file called girepository-1.0.1.dll in C:. This makes an issue for you, and if possible, rename/delete it if not fully needed, or remove your 'C:' entry from your %PATH% alternatively. Now when thinking about it, then can probably workaround by just changing 'C:' to 'C:\' in your %PATH%, but not fully sure honestly.
That did it. I changed 'C:' to C:\' in %PATH% and it started right up. Not sure how or why that entry even existed. lol It must have been a typo on my part during a past project that never caused issues till just now. I feel kinda dumb for not figuring that out myself from the traceback, but i'm glad it was a simple fix. Thank you! =)

I honestly should probably get rid of that entry, now that I think about it. Seems a little unsafe to me... lol
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You're welcome, and don't feel stupid, it wasn't obvious imho.

Cheers :)