Tracker Error: timed out

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Kingpin420
New User
New User

Tracker Error: timed out

Post by Kingpin420 »

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get my deluge working for downloads but I'm having some problems. It was working for a little while but it seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to deciding to work or not.

My setup is I'm on Windows 10, Deluge 2.1.1, I have Private Internet Access and I'm running the torrents through that as well as the socks 5 proxy that is provided by PIA.

The error I'm getting is in the trackers section, it says Error: timed out.

If any more info is needed to help me out please ask.

Thank you very kindly for your time.
ambipro

Re: Tracker Error: timed out

Post by ambipro »

I think the first step would be to find out the following...

Is this on ALL trackers in deluge?

Does deluge function properly with the socks5 disabled but PIA enabled (I assume a TAP adapter?) ? With PIA disabled but socks5 enabled? Can you isolate when the problem starts?

Is there a reason you are running essentially two VPN's? I don't think you'll be able to seed actively and this is going to most likely slow your downloads down while providing you almost zero benefit privacy-wise (since they are both supplied by the same VPN provider) and speedwise (adding more hops)

When you say you're running your torrents through PIA, can you elaborate what you mean? (TAP adapter via PIA app or OpenVPN app or whatever) since this affects what incoming/outgoing interface deluge would want to listen on or use...

Finally, is your incoming interface in the "Network" section of preferences in deluge listing anything? What about outgoing interface? These may need to be specified (at least outgoing in your case) depending on the way your VPN is being setup, I'm not sure.

Hopefully someone here who's used PIA (or similar VPN) in a configuration like yours (we'll need a bit more info, what I've asked above is a good start) can help you out. You might also google or ask PIA directly if they have forums.

Good luck, will check back and if I see anything I can advise on will let you know.
Kingpin420
New User
New User

Post by Kingpin420 »

Firstly I'd just like to thank you for taking the time to respond.

Anyway, I tried to download a well seeded linux torrent and it works fine. It might just be the tracker that is the problem, I "believe" the tracker that's giving me trouble is a private tracker if that makes a difference.

As far as my setup basically I've tried using Deluge with just the VPN and not the proxy, but I've had a couple of instances where for whatever reason my IP was leaked and I got notices from my ISP. So all I really want is to be able to download things privately without Hollywood snooping on me. I just figured that using both the proxy and the VPN would make it extra secure.

So, I guess I'll have to look into a tutorial or something on how to configure this properly to achieve what I want. Thanks for your help!
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You're in good hands with ambipro, and so just quickly wanted add that to bind in/out interfaces in deluge to your VPN, then as admin you can run: 'net start dot3svc & netsh lan show interfaces & net stop dot3svc', and add the listed GUID of your VPN interface into in/out deluge settings, but need uppercase all letters and add curlybraces. If paranoid, then can also look into adding windows firewall rules additionally, filtering by subnet, or public/private network - check if wanted e.g. here under section "set up for windows firewall with advanced security": https://github.com/tool-maker/VPN_just_ ... on-Windows. If using PIA app then enable there kill-switch also, if not already - not needed with this, but regardless. As said disable socks5 proxy imho too. PIA has port-forwarding support I believe, which you also block with socks5, not to mention waste of resources/speed - also btw is frequently reported to get you tracker timed out errors in first place, needing restart torrent client to fix ussually.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

If you seem to only be experiencing the timeouts with the one tracker, it's likely that the tracker is either blocking that particular node/server from PIA or the tracker is down, if there are mirrors of that tracker try adding them (or alternatively you can use ltconfig (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42887) and set announce_to_all_tiers or and trackers options to get all the trackers if multiple trackers are listed in your torrent)

I think its likely that your tracker is somehow the issue though based on what you said, however the linux torrent may have been using DHT if that's enabled, but you should have that disabled if you're using private trackers anyway. If you turn off PIA does announcing work with that tracker? If you switch locations with PIA does it work?

On a side note, if you aren't using public trackers at all, it seems odd that your ISP would send you anything. I'd recommed you go to "Network" in preferences, uncheck all "Network Extras" and Enable encryption on both incoming and outgoing, and under level select "Full Stream"...Assuming the torrents are seeded reasonably well and by any client from the last 5 years, you should still get the same speeds.

If you are using public trackers, you're always potentially leaving yourself vulnerable if you download certain stuff, as anyone could be in the peer list or seeding, and blocklists don't work until AFTER its too late for someone.

Let us know if you still have issues or questions.