Libtorrent 2.0.8 update.

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: Libtorrent 2.0.8 update.

Post by mhertz »

Good info, thanks for sharing, and you're very welcome buddy :) I try not advertise for own stuff, so glad ambipro posted it here honestly :) Thanks guys!
hovercraft
New User
New User

Post by hovercraft »

Hey, I just finally updated Deluge to 2.1.1 as I had a really old version. How do I install new version of Libtorrent? I'm on windows, I have IT config enabled.

Cheers
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

They are though pretty new already, but if feel the need for newer/newest, then they are available prebuilt from pypi, for windows installers through manual extraction, renaming and copying over. If wanted I collected them here too, for easy access, to download and overwrite old one in '%programfiles%\Deluge\libtorrent*.pyd'.
idiocracy
Leecher
Leecher

Post by idiocracy »

Ah, so that's why.

Udklip.PNG
Udklip.PNG (14.21 KiB) Viewed 9599 times
I tried the plugin, and while it certainly worked, i don't really feel it did much for performance. Entire system feels sluggish. Like there's something else going on. Maybe a restart will help after installing the plugin.
Edit: Well, it's slightly better, but still sluggish with the plugin enabled, i tried increasing it to 5gb.
Last edited by idiocracy on Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

I recommend 1.2.19, that's what i personally use.

2.0.x should be marked beta or experimental. It can entirely kill a system you use for anything besides dedicated torrenting.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

@all, don't confuse virtual with private memory in task manager etc, and don't need e.g wslimit plugin if not experiencing ill effects. Some do, sure, but just looking at task manager default views isn't how to tell. The plugin was made with that in mind.

To summerize, v2.x has reportedly some OS page-cache issues, giving some users problems, and slower file-checking and network-drives issues, and speed in some reports often same or faster on 1.2.x, and practically only downside of 1.2.x is a chunk of _actual_ memory reserved(disk cache), useful or not.

End of psa :)
idiocracy
Leecher
Leecher

Post by idiocracy »

While installing deluge with an older libtorrent certainly helps with the memory issue. The app is still very sluggish, and slow the entire computer down quite a bit.
Like, in this text box, if i hold down the N key, it might write 20 N's before they start racing across the screen. But regardless of that, not having the memory issues certainly helps.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Not sure what you're experiencing, I have 8100 torrents and Deluge is pretty snappy in thin client. The server isn't loaded down or anything....CPU usage is consistently under 15% even while significant uploads are being done.

Might be something to do with your hardware being dated or maybe settings you have. I'd try a new instance of a config folder (backup your old one) and load in your state folder, and slowly introduce settings until you isolate.

That doesn't seem normal.
idiocracy
Leecher
Leecher

Post by idiocracy »

Have less than 200. I'm not running it as thin client. Maybe that would be better.
If you load in your state folder, does it remember everything, like when they were added, labels, watch folders etc?

Havn't really touched deluge settings much, primarily i use ltconfig.
Last edited by idiocracy on Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

It should. Just backup the entire deluge config folder for good measure or use -c parameter for specifying a different folder as config folder.