Deluge 2.1.1 gtk-3-vs16.dll Crashing on Windows

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
ScubaCaribe
New User
New User

Deluge 2.1.1 gtk-3-vs16.dll Crashing on Windows

Post by ScubaCaribe »

Hi everyone,

I just migrated Deluge and 750+ torrents to a new Windows 11 Pro x64 machine and am currently running Deluge 2.1.1 with LT 2.0.6.0 (previously on Windows Server 2022 x64 with Deluge 1.3.15) and am running into very frequent crashes with gtk-3-vs16.dll. After some Google searching, I believe that these crashes may be caused by using YaRSS2. Here is my crash log from Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: deluge.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62cac710
Faulting module name: gtk-3-vs16.dll, version: 3.24.34.0, time stamp: 0x62a7bbbe
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000002bf71e
Faulting process id: 0x2728
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8fd11437db986
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Deluge\deluge.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Deluge\gtk-3-vs16.dll
Report Id: 23c94ea8-ffa8-42fd-8abe-e9dd86e73ba9
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I will say that I'm new to troubleshooting Degluge as I never have run into previous problems with it luckily. Admittedly, I may not have performed the data migration correctly either, I believe I copy/pasted the Deluge folder from the AppData directory - it's been several monthsand I forget, although the torrents were correctly picked up on the new server and are actively seeding. I also sure on whether I should install the plain version of Deluge or the one that includes LibTorrent and chose the install package that included it. My lack of knowledge in these areas could be making this issue self-inflicted.

It appears that YaRSS2 hasn't been updated since 2019 either based on what I've seen online, so it could be some incompatibility. Regardless, I rely on this plugin heavily to automatically download ~10 torrent subscriptions on a regular basis and would hate to have to give up this functionality.

Has anyone encountered this type of crash before? What could be causing this problem, and how can I resolve it? I'll do all necessary troubleshooting necessary as long as I can be provided the right steps/directions. Thank you for your help.
mhertz

Re: Deluge 2.1.1 gtk-3-vs16.dll Crashing on Windows

Post by mhertz »

Sorry not much help, just wanted say to disable 'show a pieces bar in status tab' under 'interface' in preferences if having such enabled, as has crashing issues - it's not enabled by default though.

I don't know if yarss2 related, but crashing is a well-known reporting sadly regarding it, and still unresolved.

Best bet probably is running in thinclient mode if not already, and only opening the gtk-ui when needed and then close again, so letting deluged running in background. If yarss2 issue, then still didn't fully fix though, but just seemingly prolonged the run time between crashes. A fellow forum member made a script for himself to run in background, scheduled-task I believe, to continually check for if deluge running or not, and if not then starting it again.

Last, both installers include libtorrent, and the non-lt2.0 version, so main version, is the most tested, though both work. As you have issues, and since I read qbittorrent devs recently reverted back to libtorrent 1.2.x instead of 2.0.x because issues reported(mainly performance though, but still), then might give that a shot as well.
ScubaCaribe
New User
New User

Re: Deluge 2.1.1 gtk-3-vs16.dll Crashing on Windows

Post by ScubaCaribe »

Hi Mhertz,

I didn't see your reply on this until now but somehow I managed to fix the issue, or at least it hasn't happened in several days since poking around. I did see forum posts about disabling show pieces, but still had crashes afterwards. This time though, the faulting DLLs were different.

I have two primary RSS feeds. When looking at the YaRSS2 message log tab, I could see that there were slightly different messages being logged depending on which feed was being queried. When digging into the configuration, I noticed that my second RSS feed had 'Use TTL Value from RSS Feed' checked, and my first one did not. Also, the update interval on my first feed was set to 120, and the second one was set to 5. I ended up syncing the settings for the second feed to match the first feed (I unchecked 'Use TTL Value from RSS Feed' and changed the update interval to 120 for the second feed) and voila. No more crashes.

My observation is that I suspect that there is a bug somewhere in YaRSS2 around the TTL and update interval settings. I wish I had evidence that pointed to that like actual application logs, although it seems to be working now, so I'm not spending any more time on troubleshooting. Just happy that it's no longer occurring.

For anyone curious, the crashes that happened after I turned off 'Show Pieces' but before I made the second round of changes looked like this in Windows Event Viewer:

Faulting module name: gobject-2.0-0.dll, version: 2.72.2.0, time stamp: 0x62a7b5dc
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000025609
Faulting process id: 0x3d10
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8ff76f3215c1b
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Deluge\gobject-2.0-0.dll
Report Id: 9fb851e2-a415-4361-b5c1-ea63955496f4

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22000.918, time stamp: 0x57b668f2
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000000000010c509
Faulting process id: 0x2fa4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8fefda23ca7ac
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 5ef7aa2f-fb06-4ab9-b369-2342228147a2

The issue seems to be resolved for now. Thank you for your reply. Hopefully this helps anyone else experiencing the same issue!

P.S. one other thing I've noticed about Deluge 2.1 that is better than 1.3 is that my torrents can now utilize my full ISP bandwidth. On 1.3, the highest bandwidth I saw for downloads was around ~15MBps, and now I see it regularly hitting ~30MBps, and it happens almost immediately. On 1.3, it would take a few minutes for the torrent to reach its max speed, and on 2.1 it only takes seconds. Now that the crashes aren't happening, I'm very happy on the new version.