LT 1.1 or 2.0 and any tips on moving Deluge to a new PC

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
greg2step

LT 1.1 or 2.0 and any tips on moving Deluge to a new PC

Post by greg2step »

Good afternoon

I am a relatively new Deluge user after recently getting back into bittorrent and discovering that utorrent wasn't meeting my needs. I looked at a few clients and like Deluge after it was recommended by a friend. I am happy with it.

I am looking at building a newer, better bittorrent vm - any advise or docs on how to move everything over without having to reload all of the torrents? I have 300 or so and expect this to go up a lot in the coming months.

Also, from the reading I have done, I should probably eventually move to the libtorrent 2 release of 2.11 - Can 2.11 LT1.x be upgraded in place to LT2.0?

If I can't find any good answers I can reload the torrents on the new client and new PC manually, but then I lose all of my stats, I'd like to keep those.

Thanks!
greg2step

Re: LT 1.1 or 2.0 and any tips on moving Deluge to a new PC

Post by greg2step »

Looks like I found a forum post on moving to new PC
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55952

any guidance for LT1x->2.0?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You can upgrade/downgrade inplace if wanted. Can also do like this, which I copy/pasted from an older message of mine:
If wanting then can get it from pypi - https://pypi.org/project/libtorrent/ under 'download files' to left. Also btw, can select 'release history' and there select '1.2.17' and then 'download files', to get 1.2.17. In both cases you get the one for python 3.9 so has '39' in file-name('cp39' often named), and 'win_amd64'. Then after downloaded you can extract it with e.g. 7-zip with 'rightclick>extract' even though not a known compressed archive, but as 'whl' is just a 'zip' archive anyway - also alternatively just rename the '.whl' extension into '.zip' and just double-click it in windows-explorer to enter it. You only need the '*.pyd' file from the whl and then overwrite the old libtorrent '*.pyd' in deluge's install-folder(or rename the old to e.g. '*-bak' so have a backup and can revert back later if wanted).

Here's the direct links too:

Libtorrent 2.0.7:
https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages ... _amd64.whl

Libtiorrent 1.2.17:
https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages ... _amd64.whl
(Can also extract deluge installer exe's with 7-zip and replace the libtorrent*.pyd file in your deluge installation with the extracted version)

Last, your other issue, if you cannot keep exact same path in new place, then atleast make sure same length of characters in path, as tested it once just quick, and found this, e.g following good instructions by shamael. This is probably why some report success and others not I'm guessing.

Good luck with it mate :)

Edit: I came to remember I thought had posted about this, so searched my posts - little more info there, and a script working with different path lengths: viewtopic.php?p=233833#p233833
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

As this comes up intermittently, then I whipped up a quick 7z switchless installer, with isolated copy of 32bit python and stripped deluge, needed on windows because of pickling and using deluge api itself(to support arbitrary length path changes), which cannot be imported from current install(because is freezed). It opens a dialog for selecting new folder and then it changes save_path in torrents.state to that, plus backs it up first. Works on 32 and 64 bit, both libtorrents, doesn't install anything, and cleans up after itself and no admin rights needed. I hope I haven't misunderstood anything, but seemingly worked for me in few quick test cases. Full credit to Cas for original script for tracker-key changing, which I ammended for our use case.

deluge_path_change.exe

(Payload, sfx-module and config-file with commands run can be extracted and verified through 7z_splitter here: https://github.com/OlegScherbakov/7zSFX ... er_1017.7z)

Edit: Changed link.
greg2step

Post by greg2step »

Thanks everyone - I did got my environement working as I wanted - I was able to move the torrents and deluge folder under c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\deluge to new windows system. Originally I was having issues with one torrent tracker I frequent but I reran the installer and it works well. I used the deluge installer for 2.11 64bit w/ libtorrent 2.06. I am going to try the posted procedure to upgrade to libtorrent 2.07 at some point.

I also got the daemon running as a window service https://deluge.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... rvice.html# this is great for reboots, patching etc. I was using old utorrent 2.11 until a month ago - this is so much better. It's really working well.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

greg2step wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:36 pm Thanks everyone - I did got my environement working as I wanted - I was able to move the torrents and deluge folder under c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\deluge to new windows system. Originally I was having issues with one torrent tracker I frequent but I reran the installer and it works well. I used the deluge installer for 2.11 64bit w/ libtorrent 2.06. I am going to try the posted procedure to upgrade to libtorrent 2.07 at some point.

I also got the daemon running as a window service https://deluge.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... rvice.html# this is great for reboots, patching etc. I was using old utorrent 2.11 until a month ago - this is so much better. It's really working well.
You can follow the directions @ viewtopic.php?f=12&t=56260&p=235266#p235266 and upgrade to 2.0.7 with that, it's what I'm currently using and works fine.
greg2step

Post by greg2step »

ambipro wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:00 pm You can follow the directions @ viewtopic.php?f=12&t=56260&p=235266#p235266 and upgrade to 2.0.7 with that, it's what I'm currently using and works fine.
Ya thats what I did, worked great and running reliably. I was just reading the thread on 2.08 and memory issues, so I may stick w/ 2.07 for now.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

greg2step wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:11 pm
ambipro wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:00 pm You can follow the directions @ viewtopic.php?f=12&t=56260&p=235266#p235266 and upgrade to 2.0.7 with that, it's what I'm currently using and works fine.
Ya thats what I did, worked great and running reliably. I was just reading the thread on 2.08 and memory issues, so I may stick w/ 2.07 for now.
Glad to see that my post helped, hope others find mhertz's builds and my brief "tutorial" helpful.

Let me know if you have any issues, I had some I/O speed (disk write speed) issues that I solved with ltconfig tweaking, but I'm not sure that was anything caused by upgrading to 2.x or what...

Right now I have a cross between libtorrent defaults, high performance seed, and custom values, and it maxes my connection (500mbit) after around 20-30s of downloading. I think it could be better optimized and should hit that max a lot faster but I don't want to **** it up and end up with it stuck at sub 20MB/s again....and I don't know the libtorrent config settings well enough to mess with it.
Paralel

Post by Paralel »

I have run into the same issue that ambipro saw with 2.0.6 that comes along with the 2.1.1 install choking the downstream bandwidth. I have a 150 mbit connection and I was running at 15 mbit or less. I thought I was just getting crappy torrents or something. So I switched to 2.0.7, and the different is night and day. My connection is working at optimum on both downstream and upstream (I wasn't really paying attention to my upstream too much, but under 2.0.6, it was essentially non-existent). On the exact same connection, same system, same deluge install, same torrent, I am seeing a literal 10x bandwidth difference just by swapping the LibTorrent. Something seems to be quite off with the 2.0.6 release of LibTorrent for some users.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Paralel wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:22 am I have run into the same issue that ambipro saw with 2.0.6 that comes along with the 2.1.1 install choking the downstream bandwidth. I have a 150 mbit connection and I was running at 15 mbit or less. I thought I was just getting crappy torrents or something. So I switched to 2.0.7, and the different is night and day. My connection is working at optimum on both downstream and upstream (I wasn't really paying attention to my upstream too much, but under 2.0.6, it was essentially non-existent). On the exact same connection, same system, same deluge install, same torrent, I am seeing a literal 10x bandwidth difference just by swapping the LibTorrent. Something seems to be quite off with the 2.0.6 release of LibTorrent for some users.
I'm sticking with 2.0.7 at the moment as well, 2.0.8 was acting funny with memory as mentioned in mhertz post for me, and 2.0.6 was just pitiful speedwise even after hours of tweaking and reinstalling. I eventually tried 2.0.7 and haven't looked back, glad it worked for you as well, I know it can be disappointing to know your connection and system are fully capable of reaching speeds you only see 10% of, I was in the same boat with little clue to solutions.

mhertz updated build happened to work, thank god. :)