Naster skin setup @Deluge 2.1.1

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
st0rm
New User
New User

Re: Naster skin setup @Deluge 2.1.1

Post by st0rm »

GTK themes are pretty much universal. You can therefore download any GTK 3 theme, and try it out for Deluge.
Just needs the folder structure mhertz mentioned, and the name in settings.ini.

Put the folder in themes, add foldername to settings.ini. Restart/launch Deluge, see if it's good. If not find another one.
(Ignore all the other stuff those themes have, they are for other stuff. But i think deluge just looks for the gtk-3.0 archive inside the specified folder, then applies it's settings.)

Plenty of sites carry lots of themes. Like here: https://www.gnome-look.org/browse?cat=135&ord=latest
Or just search for "gtk 3 themes".
neero100
New User
New User

Post by neero100 »

mhertz wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:40 pm For deluge 2.11 on windows, you download the zip, extract and move the 'Naster' folder into 'deluge-install-folder\share\themes'. Then make new folder 'gtk-3.0' under 'deluge-install-folder\share' and in that newly generated folder you make new file inside named 'settings.ini' with following content:

Code: Select all

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=Naster
It should look like this:

'deluge-install-folder\share\themes\Naster'
'deluge-install-folder\share\gtk-3.0\settings.ini'
(No need also make 'etc' folder for 'settings.ini' when 'share' also is searched for it, I found in the documentation recently.)
I followed the above mentioned steps precisely and still the theme is white. I'm running Windows 10 and Deluge's most updated win 10 client 2.1.1, any ideas what may be the issue.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Do you have an 'etc\gtk-3.0' folder in install-dir with a settings.ini, maybe from following older instructions?

Have you restarted deluge?

Have you a 'gtk-3.0' or alike(not at my computer now) folder in deluge-install-folder\share\themes\Naster'?

Edit: I just tested it at my computer now, and the first question can be omited, as 'share' takes precedense over 'etc'. So, most likely you have not restarted, or have extracted/renamed the zip wrongly, and as stated there need be subfolder named 'gtk-3.0'. In my original instructions I in hindsight should have included that folder in the example dir-listing to avoid confusion i.e. 'deluge-install-folder\share\themes\Naster\gtk-3.0', sorry.
neero100
New User
New User

Post by neero100 »

mhertz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:11 pm Do you have an 'etc\gtk-3.0' folder in install-dir with a settings.ini, maybe from following older instructions?

Have you restarted deluge?

Have you a 'gtk-3.0' or alike(not at my computer now) folder in deluge-install-folder\share\themes\Naster'?

Edit: I just tested it at my computer now, and the first question can be omited, as 'share' takes precedense over 'etc'. So, most likely you have not restarted, or have extracted/renamed the zip wrongly, and as stated there need be subfolder named 'gtk-3.0'. In my original instructions I in hindsight should have included that folder in the example dir-listing to avoid confusion i.e. 'deluge-install-folder\share\themes\Naster\gtk-3.0', sorry.
1. So I rechecked everything and comes out that the file in share/gtk-3.0 was named "setting.ini" instead of "settings.ini", so after correcting that I restarted the system but still white theme.

2. I see a folder : share/themes/Naster/gtk-3.0, in containts: Folder : assets and File : gtk.

Do I need to move the settings.ini to share/themes/Naster ?
I tried interpreting your Edit part of response, but could not clearly assess what you are trying to say.

Everything now is as suggested by your first response in this thread, will appreciate further help. Thank you for your time.
mhertz

Re:aster skin setup @Deluge 2.1.1

Post by mhertz »

No, shouldn't move settings.ini, you have it correct as is. Also folder contents you posted is correct.

I'm though thinking, that since you list a file named 'gtk.css' as 'gtk', then possibly you have extensions hidden in windows, and if you then generated a new empty text-file and named it settings.ini, then maybe is called settings.ini.txt in reality? Otherwise, please post exactly your contents of that settings.ini to verify, thanks.

You can also zip up you whole 'share' folder if wanted and send me in PM if you like, so I can see what's wrong.
neero100
New User
New User

Post by neero100 »

@mhertz you deduced the problem brilliantly, with just two messages. It was indeed saved as .ini.txt file and I had to put double quotes while saving it to make it work.

This reminded my of the Sherlock Holmes series, no kidding.
Anyways, I see the theme is too dark, is there a variation in the dark theme itself, I mean other then Naster that I can apply.

Also the message at the top by @st0rm suggests that any GTK theme should work, can you confirm if that is the case, if so do I follow the same steps as I did for this one ?

Once again, thank you for your time.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Lol, but seriously, thank you for that great compliment buddy, honestly made me happy to read :)

I'm not much of a GUI person myself, but what about the default GTK3 theme adwaita, just in it's dark variant instead of light? It's more dark grey than black. Other than this, then I don't know sorry.

Yeah most gtk3 themes should work, and I say most, because some might not because use some special theming engine or other component not available, or is locked to an earlier gtk3 version, so will need try your luck, but regular standard GTK3 themes, sure, I do believe. Yes, same steps to apply.

Ohh, for the adwaita-dark, then edit settings.ini under 'share\gtk-3-0', to:

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=Adwaita
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=1
(The 'gtk-theme-name=Adwaita' line here is redundant, as default anyways if not given, So could comment the old 'Naster' line out instead and add next line, but regardless)
neero100
New User
New User

Post by neero100 »

mhertz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:59 pm Lol, but seriously, thank you for that great compliment buddy, honestly made me happy to read :)

I'm not much of a GUI person myself, but what about the default GTK3 theme adwaita, just in it's dark variant instead of light? It's more dark grey than black. Other than this, then I don't know sorry.

Yeah most gtk3 themes should work, and I say most, because some might not because use some special theming engine or other component not available, or is locked to an earlier gtk3 version, so will need try your luck, but regular standard GTK3 themes, sure, I do believe. Yes, same steps to apply.

Ohh, for the adwaita-dark, then edit settings.ini under 'share\gtk-3-0', to:

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=Adwaita
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=1
(The 'gtk-theme-name=Adwaita' line here is redundant, as default anyways if not given, So could comment the old 'Naster' line out instead and add next line, but regardless)
Dark Grey sounds more like what will suit the eyes, can you share the link for the exact one you are referring, I checked gnome-look and there are so many of them.
You have been a great help thanks.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You're welcome mate, and I'm sorry for the confusion and being too vague - it's a built-in theme(Adwaita), so you just need change 'share\gtk-3-0\settings.ini' to get it loaded, nothing else.
neero100
New User
New User

Post by neero100 »

Not sure why they haven't pushed an option inside Preferences to enable Dark Mode, definitely needs to be there.

Is there something that can be done for the Title Bar ?
It is still light colour, though it is fine, but if something can be done, then I would like to try.

By the way, this looks excellent and now that my ordeal is over :) I have to say, you have been absolutely brilliant, this was a minor things, but you know how annoying it can be when everything is in Dark mode, except for one thing. Small things, big difference.

Many thanks for your time and kindly keep helping people with your knowledge.
Best Regards